Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neutering questions for Vino or anyone else with pet knowledge

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Neutering questions for Vino or anyone else with pet knowledge

Advertisements
    Teddy is about 6-7 months old so I'm beginning to look into the fixing process and have a few questions. My vet mentioned that there is some debate as to whether or not early neutering stunts growth. He said that if that is a concern, I could wait until Teddy is 6ish months old so I did. Now I'm wondering about some of the effects of fixing him. Are there any behavior changes that I can expect? My brother said he will probably less energetic and puppyish and more mature, is that true? Is is better for me to get him fixed now versus waiting until he is a year old? I think that it usually makes them nicer, but Teddy is already the sweetest little guy. Can that change?

I would really appreciate any information you guys might have. I want to get him fixed, but he's my baby! I know I'm being irrational so I'm hoping that getting better information will help me put my worries aside.

I Eelizah
  2. Senior Member

Bento was 5-6 months old when he was neutered and he is exactly the same now as he was before except his missing an ugly accessory.

I picked him up after the appt and he didnt even act like anything happened.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Some dogs show changes post surgery - however, the age at which the procedure is typically performed may have more to do with the changes than the surgery itself --- people just make the association and assume it is because of the neutering. Also, keep in mind, you can just as easily see the sort of changes you are worried about if you DON"T neuter and he is allowed to become a sexually mature male with all the hormones, drives, etc that will come with that.
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Gatsby got fixed at 6 months. He still acted just as much as a puppy as he did before after the side effects wore off. The only thing that changed was he stopped humping my arm.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    These are making me feel better. Teddy won't be his adorable puppy self for forever so I hated the idea of possibly fast forwarding through it.

I Eelizah
  6. Senior Member
    I fixed Finn at a little under a year and a half, the only changed we noticed was in his appetite. He wanted to eat a lot more and he filled out. Aside from that though, nothing. He's still a complete psychopath now and he turned 2 in July.
  7. Free!
    Free!
    My friend's dog was an evil, psycho "if you touch me and I don't know you I will bite you (if you ignore my growl)" type dog before being neutered. I met him a few times and he would occasionally let you lightly pet him before giving his warning. After he got neutered (and got 5 badly rotten teeth pulled) I dog sat him and by the end of the weekend if I put my hand down he would come running for pets. He also rolled over for me twice which he never did before.
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    After a neuter dogs do tend to be less puppy-ish, but that is because we tend to neuter at 6 months and they are leaving puppyhood at that point and entering the dreaded teenage years. So its correlation, not causation.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    After a neuter dogs do tend to be less puppy-ish, but that is because we tend to neuter at 6 months and they are leaving puppyhood at that point and entering the dreaded teenage years. So its correlation, not causation.
    Good to know. Do you know about how long it takes for them to recover completely?

I Eelizah
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Good to know. Do you know about how long it takes for them to recover completely?
    2 weeks is the healing time, and in that time jumping and rough play should not occur, but for them to be back up and feeling better to the point where they TRY (and we cant let them) run and play and jump? Its a bit dog dependent, but for happy dumb pitties maybe 30 minutes For our more sensitive dogs a day, mayyyyyybe 2 days. Average is about a day.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast