Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Is This Something To Be Worried About? (Gross IMG)

1. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech

Is This Something To Be Worried About? (Gross IMG)

Advertisements
    I take Luna out behind the house into the desert so she can run around and get some exercise. She gets SO excited when she finds a lizard to chase and is somewhat reckless by diving into brush after them. She had a cut on her cheek that she kept scratching at (it has since healed mostly and she stopped scratching at it) but she also has a wound right at the base of her ear. I don't see anything in the interior other than possibly dried blood from the scratching.

She doesn't scratch much anymore since I've scared her enough times when she does it. Anyway, someone saw it and said it was ear mites but I can't tell. Her other ear looks fine.

Now for the grossness....

Looks like there's puss.

Other ear.

2. Senior Member
    It could be mites causing her to scratch. But with that infection I would take her in before it gets worse and causes damage or worse. The vet will be able to tell you if she has mites and it is easily cured with some cleaning and ear solution.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I would definitely take her to the vet for that infection. My brother's cat had ear mites only in one ear and would scratch really bad and shake his head a lot.

4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'd take her to the vet now, if it's gets worse it could cause more issues that are harder to heal.

5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Definitely take her in. That dirty looking stuff in her ear is what mites look like. So it could be that or it could just be gunk from whatever is on her ear.

ETA: My dog had ear mites. The inside of her ear looked like that at the very beginning. The stupid vet just said it was an infection but when her drops weren't making it better & it was only getting worse, we took her to someone else & she had mites. And it was bad. We actually believe that she lost a portion of her hearing because we have to repeat things to her several times sometimes.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Okay, hopefully it's nothing but with the cut, she probably does need meds.

She doesn't seem too bothered by it anymore and doesn't shake her head. But I'll still take her in.
  7. Senior Member
    normally i would say something different about such a wound, but since the one picture with the wound also has debri in it and the other ear is free of that i think there is a high likelihood that is it ear mites. I'd take the pup into the vet! But if they give you something topical, make sure you research about its ototoxicity!