Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: is it toxic or not?!

1. Senior Member

is it toxic or not?!

Advertisements
    k so i'm confused a bit... most people know that macadamia nuts can be quite toxic to dogs, just a few can cause symptoms even in large dogs... so I was looking at shampoos for my pups and I really like this all natural one... but it has macadamia nut oil in it so i'm like ok, let's try to do a bit of research on that because that seems weird. Well, nothing revealing comes up, it's legit either a million sites with other dog shampoos that also have macadamia nut oil (citing how moisturizing it is, etc) or you get the sites that warn against macadamia nuts and the oil extract (but only in food form, no mention of it being used in shampoo/topically).

I literally google all sorts of things like "macadamia nut oil dog shampoo toxic" or replace toxic with "safe" and nothing. Only the two topics I listed above. What the heck! First, why would they put such a toxic thing in dog shampoo... and second is there some where on the net that talks about whether or not for some reason it's safe in shampoos?! I mean, a dog can lick himself after he has a bath and consume some of the residue... the skin absorbs it... i'm just extremely confused.
  2. Moderator

My guess would be either 1) the toxic component of the nut is not the oil or 2) it's not absorbed in a quantity great enough to be harmful, used topically. That's the case for a lot of things humans are allergic to, which is the only reason for my guesses- I really don't know anything about dogs.
  3. Senior Member
    somebody else pleeeeeeease chime in i'm super curious about this!!
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    My best advice would be to call your vet's office and ask about it.

There are some things that are well known toxins for dogs but in reality they aren't toxic to all dogs they can cause allergic reactions in some dogs...