Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sick Doggy

1. Senior Member

Sick Doggy

Advertisements
    So, my poor baby boy Blaze is sick.

On Sunday he had some loose stools and threw up a few times. He has always had a sensitive stomach and I know how to deal with that...bland food.... extra water... etc. On Sunday night he was almost normal again and on Monday he was back to normal: playing, eating and sleeping like nothing was wrong...the alarming symptom started on Monday night when he had blood in his Urine.

We took him to the vet this morning and they checked him out, sent a urinalysis to the lab, and did an xray and also gave us some antibiotics in case it is bacterial. Nothing strange showed up on the xray (stones), and they don't REALLY think it could be a UTI considering a male dog's anatomy (but they started treatment, Just in case). From the physical exam he seemed normal, totally wouldn't think anything is wrong with this dog unless you saw him pee. Next step is wait for the results from the lab and see what shows up for the urinalysis (3-5 days)...then a ultrasound to check out everything. (check for tumors, kidneys, bladder)

I am so scared for my little guy. He has been my best friend for over 10 years.. Please send lots of and
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That sounds really scary . Sending lots of and to you and your pup .
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Did they do a rectal and feel his prostate? Hopefully it is either a UTI or a prostatitis and the antibiotics will clear it up!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Did they do a rectal and feel his prostate? Hopefully it is either a UTI or a prostatitis and the antibiotics will clear it up!
    They did. He said everything felt normal, but the prostate was a little large, but not too much for concern, the doctor said the fact that he was neutered later in life (6 or 7 yrs I can't remember) could mean that was "normal" for him.
  5. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Sending your way!
  6. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I hate when my pup is sick. I hope he starts feeling better soon!

7. Senior Member
    I just wanted to update with some good news! (Not so good for my checkbook though!)

He has been on his medicine for a few days and his urinalyses came back and he tested positive for a UTI! unfortunately it came back after his ultrasound this morning ($350) which showed absolutely nothing but a slightly enlarged prostate. Our vet is not the one that did the ultrasound and we didn't want to pay the consult fee, so the vet that did the ultrasound basically sent a report and the DVD back to our vet who told us the news, our vet is going to talk with the ultrasound vet and are going to figure out if the prostate is something to look at..or just because be was neutered later in life.

They said they could see the inflammation of the bladder on the ultrasound, our vet thought maybe he had the UTI for a long time and that was the cause of the incontinence (he has had for almost a year). But he had a full panel of blood work and did a sample of the urine for bacteria at his check up in May. I would feel SOOO bad if his old vet didn't catch that... poor baby

But overall good good news!