Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: feel like a bad fur mama

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

feel like a bad fur mama

Advertisements

back on Aug 16, we discovered that the kitties had fleas. After some aggressive actions, it seemed like we had gotten rid of them all. But, we just discover they have returned. We've been vacuuming like crazy, spraying down the house with pesticide spray stuff, washing everything multiple times, treating with advantage. Ugh, I don't even know what to do anymore. Our utility bill was 50$ more than normal because of the crazy amount of laundry we did. I've called the poor vet numerous times and done everything she said. We treated with Advantage every 7 days. Threw away the cloth toys and fabric scratchers. We washed the cat beds every.single.day

Monday night when we got home from labor day weekend, it seemed like they were all dead, finally. But DH just found a few on the cats, crawling around happily.

ugh I don't even know what to do! This is part vent and part plea for advice. Help? Anyone dealt with fleas that just won't die? I feel bad that I can't make the itchies stop for my girls.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Once fleas get into the environment (aka the house) it can be hard. Their lifecycle can range, but it makes sense they came back as eggs hatch every 21 days. So while you killed the living fleas in the environment, more eggs hatched and TA DA, more fleas. Just keep putting flea meds on the cats and, eventually, the fleas will die. The fleas take a blood meal before they mate, meaning the fleas on your kitties now will die before they can mate, so eggs wont be in the environment. Eventually, all the flea eggs in your house will hatch (over varying times) but the new fleas cant lay egss, so the egg burden will decrease downt o nothing and the fleas will be dying. It just takes time and continued flea medications. Dont worry, you arent a bad fur mommy.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Once fleas get into the environment (aka the house) it can be hard. Their lifecycle can range, but it makes sense they came back as eggs hatch every 21 days. So while you killed the living fleas in the environment, more eggs hatched and TA DA, more fleas. Just keep putting flea meds on the cats and, eventually, the fleas will die. The fleas take a blood meal before they mate, meaning the fleas on your kitties now will die before they can mate, so eggs wont be in the environment. Eventually, all the flea eggs in your house will hatch (over varying times) but the new fleas cant lay egss, so the egg burden will decrease downt o nothing and the fleas will be dying. It just takes time and continued flea medications. Dont worry, you arent a bad fur mommy.
    Thanks! It's been frustrating to say the least. Do you think we should keep treating with Advantage II every 7 days since there is still flea activity? I know it's supposed to be a once-a-month treatment. It seems to wear off within just a few days after application. We keep them from grooming each other for a while after it's first applied but within like 2 days, you can't see/feel/smell it in their fur anymore and it seems to very not so effective...
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey