Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Molly :(

1. Senior Member

Molly :(

Advertisements
    *I'm typing from my phone and crying so please excuse the typos*

We had to have our German Shorthair put to sleep today. She was rehomed to us in 2010, when her owner claimed that he couldn't keep her due to lack of space (she loved to run). Anyways back in Nov she charged a little boy that lives next door to us. My parents brought in a trainer to try and fix her aggressive outbursts. We worked with one for a month and then another for 6 months. We couldn't get the aggressive outbursts to stop. Our trainer suggested ask our vet to get a hold of her records from her old vet. It turns out that was a wealth of knowledge! Her old vet said that Molly, when was seen in the 2 years she was a patient she seen signs of abuse. Molly would come on severely under weight and dehydrated. We had always thought she might have been beaten because whenever we talked to her sternly she would lay on the ground, put her paws up, and looked so scared.

Things came to a boiling point two days ago when Molly bit my niece. Molly was laying in the hallway, in front of the bathroom and my niece stepped over her to get to the bathroom. Molly then lunged and bit her in the leg. My mom saw the whole thing happen so, we knew Molly wasn't provoked.

My dad started putting all of the pieces together and decided to call her previous owner. It turns out Molly had bitten her previous owner as well. She got him so bad, he need stitches.

We tried to help Molly overcome her past but we couldn't. . Our trainer and our vet pretty much said the same thing, "she has suffered from too much in her past for her to recover mentally". They both suggested that she needed to be put to sleep and my parents agreed.
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

sorry you're having to go through that.

3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I can't imagine going through that with a personal pet. The shelter I worked at was no-kill and we'd had a dog there for six years that, after the first year started biting. He was put down while I was there, because he was unadoptable but it was heart breaking, especially being one of the people he decided to like and be friendly with Just know that she's no longer suffering with out of control fear and anxiety. It sounds like you did everything you could, sometimes it's just too much for dogs to come back from.
  4. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post

I can't imagine going through that with a personal pet. The shelter I worked at was no-kill and we'd had a dog there for six years that, after the first year started biting. He was put down while I was there, because he was unadoptable but it was heart breaking, especially being one of the people he decided to like and be friendly with Just know that she's no longer suffering with out of control fear and anxiety. It sounds like you did everything you could, sometimes it's just too much for dogs to come back from.
    I have several similar stories, and each one of them is just.. heartbreaking.

OP Im really sorry you have to go through this. It sounds like you worked hard to help her with her issues. Im glad she got a loving home for those last few years though!

5. Senior Member
    When she was laying there after she got the IV, she looked almost at peace. It just hurts that she is gone.