Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Poor Lily

1. Free!
    Free!

Poor Lily

Advertisements
    I noticed a couple weeks ago that Lily was scratching excessively, like every 2 minutes she'd turn and either gnaw on her feet or scratch her belly. We took her in last Thursday and it turns out that she has allergies to something outside. The doctor gave us instructions to give her either Benadryl or Prednisone.

We tried the Benadryl and it helped a bit but she still was scratching more than she should so yesterday we started the Prednisone. The good thing is that we should be able to take her off of it tomorrow because the scratching has almost completely stopped so it's at least under control. She's probably going to have to stay on the Benadryl until the season is over though. I feel bad though because she seemed to have caught the "allergy disease" from us .
  2. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Poor pup! Did your vet give you instructions on dosage for the Pred? It is generally given in increments and the dog is slowly weaned off, like 3 pills a day for 3 days, then two for three days, then one and then one every other day. It's a steroid so it works best that way (which I was told by vet). My doggie has had serious allergies his entire life so my vet has him on a constant prescription for it. Also she will be drinking a lot more water and in result peeing a lot more since its a steroid.
  3. Free!
    Free!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    Poor pup! Did your vet give you instructions on dosage for the Pred? It is generally given in increments and the dog is slowly weaned off, like 3 pills a day for 3 days, then two for three days, then one and then one every other day. It's a steroid so it works best that way (which I was told by vet). My doggie has had serious allergies his entire life so my vet has him on a constant prescription for it. Also she will be drinking a lot more water and in result peeing a lot more since its a steroid.
    It's 5mg and since it's only for a short time we don't have to wean her. They said a week or under you don't have to wean. Basically it was give her that amount till she stopped and then maintain with benadryl to get her through the end of the season. If that wasn't working then we would go back for a different game plan; so far though, it has work.
  4. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Great! Glad to hear it