Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huskies?

1. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.

Huskies?

Advertisements
    Does anyone live in a hot state (e.g. Florida or Texas) and own a husky? DB and I are moving in together around this time next year, and we've been looking at adopting a dog. I know he really wants a husky but whenever I bring up owning a husky in Florida, people FREAK OUT. I was under the impression that a dog's fur keeps them cool in the summertime. While we don't intend on living in Florida much longer after I complete college in another year, if we're gonna get a husky, I don't want it to overheat or having difficulty due to the weather here. I want to make sure I can provide an ideal home life for a the type of dog we get, even moreso if it's a dog with lots of fur.
  2. Senior Member
    we're in NC/MO. i'm not sure how summers in FL or TX compare to here or MO, but our husky hasn't, ever, had any problems. then again, he's not much of an outdoor dog as it is.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Will the dog be primarily an indoor or outdoor dog?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

We live in Florida and have 3 huskies..I'm actually shocked at how popular they are here! Our huskies love the weather, one even sun bathes..just make sure you have tons of water accessible and get them a kiddie pool and you are good to go
  5. Senior Member
    My oldest son's grandmother owned a husky and she never had any problems! I have known quite a few people who have had them. My best friends mom also has a Tibetan Mastiff foster down there and those dogs are MASSIVE! And have a ton of hair!
  6. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Will the dog be primarily an indoor or outdoor dog?
    It will primarily be in an indoor dog, but we love going outdoors for jogs and trailblazing, so we'd want to take the furry one with us. We're hell bent on making sure the dogs we own will have plenty of exercise and a long, healthy life.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    We live in Florida and have 3 huskies..I'm actually shocked at how popular they are here! Our huskies love the weather, one even sun bathes..just make sure you have tons of water accessible and get them a kiddie pool and you are good to go
    Yeah, I know of at least two families just in my neighborhood and the subdivision next door who own huskies. One of the owners shaves her husky in the summer, but the other family just lets their husky go au naturale, so to speak. They own a red husky and its coat is absolutely beautiful.

We're not looking to own more than one dog at a time since we can only devote time to one dog, but a husky does seem like a good fit for the two of us. We just want to make sure it's not gonna be uncomfortable in the heat, especially if it's been as hot as it is here in Orlando.
  7. Senior Member
    I live in Florida and ALWAYS see huskies. We take our dogs to the dog park often and there is usually at least one there. I think they would do fine as long as they're inside the majority of the time.
    :)
    Blog Entries
    We had a husky when we lived in Southern Cali and she was an outdoor dog...she did great and it got really hot during the summer.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  9. Senior Member
    There are several huskies where I live and they all do just fine in this heat.

My dog grows long ass fur (thanks chow chow dna) but does fine in this humidity. We had her shaved every 2 weeks.
    Also it won't hurt to bring 2 water bottles when walking your husk or going to the dog park (and hey, if feeling generous get an empty jug, fill with water, and bring that a long. Everybody appreciates it).

If the husk is going to be outside it won't hurt to make sure the area you're in has some nice shady areas.
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm in Texas and my former roommate had a husky, he was primarily an indoor dog and when he was outside we always made sure he had somewhere to go to cool off. I'll warn you though, with them being indoors when they blow their coat your WHOLE house will be coated in dog hair!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast