Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on?

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

What is going on?

Advertisements
    A few weeks ago, we took Gatsby to our friend's house because she had been wanting to get the two of them together for awhile. We've taken him one more time since then. While he was over there, he peed on her patio couch's leg & the grill. About a week after the last visit, he's been marking at our house. So far, he's peed on the garage door, the wheels of the stroller, DH's $200 boots, the bag of dog food & my coffee table. He knows better. He's been potty trained since he was 4-5 months old & besides a very rare accident if we're gone all day & he just can't hold it anymore, he never goes in the house. What can I do to fix this? I don't understand why he's doing this.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It's fairly common for a dog to mark a new territory, so at their house it definitely could just be that. We had a friend's dog that we would dog sit when they went on vacation, and he'd come in, pee on something and then never pee inside again for the whole stay.

As for peeing at home.....I'm not really sure. My girl dog started marking things (only outside though) when she was three years old. We moved to Arizona and she was fine, she loved the move and the house we stayed at had three acres so she had her run of the place. When we left and moved into an apartment, I think she thought we "got lost" from our great 3 acre place, so she started marking constantly outside. Which I read is common, so they can find their way back or know if they've been somewhere before.

I guess my best guess is that either A) he decided he'd better mark his own territory before someone takes it or B)taking him out of his normal environment brought out his desire to ensure he can "find home". Does he usually go on outings, or is more of a home only dog?
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    It's fairly common for a dog to mark a new territory, so at their house it definitely could just be that. We had a friend's dog that we would dog sit when they went on vacation, and he'd come in, pee on something and then never pee inside again for the whole stay.

As for peeing at home.....I'm not really sure. My girl dog started marking things (only outside though) when she was three years old. We moved to Arizona and she was fine, she loved the move and the house we stayed at had three acres so she had her run of the place. When we left and moved into an apartment, I think she thought we "got lost" from our great 3 acre place, so she started marking constantly outside. Which I read is common, so they can find their way back or know if they've been somewhere before.

I guess my best guess is that either A) he decided he'd better mark his own territory before someone takes it or B)taking him out of his normal environment brought out his desire to ensure he can "find home". Does he usually go on outings, or is more of a home only dog?
    That's what I was thinking.

He goes on 2 walks a day, more when I'm not watching my friend's kids so I'll take him on mine & DS's walk. And then he goes out in the backyard probably once every hour. And then we usually take him to the dog beach every week - every other weekend depending on what we have going on. We also take him to the dog park when it's empty... he gets a little overwhelmed when there's more than 1 dog running around freely.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Senior Member
    Is he fixed?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Is he fixed?
    Yes. He got fixed when he was 6 months. He's 3 years now.

6. Pour a little salt, we were never here

with that info I think it could be the lost feeling, since he usually goes to "neutral" places (where lots of dogs go, but none of them own it), and the home environment was different. My dogs both got extremely clingy when they were first brought into other peoples homes, probably thinking we'd leave them or they'd get lost. They've gotten used to it now, but I could definitely see it just being different for him.
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    with that info I think it could be the lost feeling, since he usually goes to "neutral" places (where lots of dogs go, but none of them own it), and the home environment was different. My dogs both got extremely clingy when they were first brought into other peoples homes, probably thinking we'd leave them or they'd get lost. They've gotten used to it now, but I could definitely see it just being different for him.
    So you think it could just take a little time for him? He's always had separation anxiety from DH's first deployment so I already know he's super attached to me.

8. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    So you think it could just take a little time for him? He's always had separation anxiety from DH's first deployment so I already know he's super attached to me.
    I would definitely try to catch him the act and let him know it's not acceptable, but I would think he should stop. You might try either taking him to lots of houses more often, or if that's not possible then not taking him to any houses and see if his behavior evens out.
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Having gone to another dog's territory could've very well made him feel insecure which is why he's marking now. Maybe if your friend wants to get the dogs together again you should meet in a neutral place like a dog park.

It may just take time for him to feel comfortable enough in your home to stop marking. Maybe talk to a trainer in your area that can give you tips?

10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I would definitely try to catch him the act and let him know it's not acceptable, but I would think he should stop. You might try either taking him to lots of houses more often, or if that's not possible then not taking him to any houses and see if his behavior evens out.
    Well, he only does it when no one's home. So I guess him having anxiety after meeting the other dog definitely makes sense since he wont mark when DH or I are here. And he definitely has the balls to pee in front of me because he's done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    Having gone to another dog's territory could've very well made him feel insecure which is why he's marking now. Maybe if your friend wants to get the dogs together again you should meet in a neutral place like a dog park.

It may just take time for him to feel comfortable enough in your home to stop marking. Maybe talk to a trainer in your area that can give you tips?
    She has mentioned wanting to take them to the beach together so maybe we'll try that. My friend only has one dog & he LOVES having company. He's gotten so upset when we take Gatsby back home with us. He needs a friend. So I would just hate to take them away from each other all together since they're the same size & his only friend is our bigger dog but they can be little shits together.

I'll try that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast