Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Trips with a cat

1. Senior Member

Trips with a cat

Advertisements
    We have two dogs and a cat that acts like a third dog. I am going home to RI on Tuesday and then DH is flying in Saturday morning and we will both drive back together on Monday morning, we should be home by like 2pm. I always bring the dogs with me because DH works a lot and my parents love them. I was thinking about bringing the cat this time too. He is super chill, but I am worried it will be to much for him to be in the car and then in a new house for a few days and then back in the car. He can totally stay here, we have a roommate and she doesn't mind feeding him and cleaning his litter box, but he loves being around people and she will be at work most of the time we are gone and DH works a ton so he won't really be around even when he is still here and not in RI. I feel bad leaving the cat here to be by himself for essentially 6 days (even though he will be well taken care of as far as basic needs being met) Does anyone else have a cat that is super dog like that doesn't mind road trips? I just don't want him to get stressed out, but I don't want him to feel abandoned either
  2. Senior Member
    Both our babies love car rides!! We made the trip up here from FL with Leia...got some Ace (aka kitty Xanax) from her vet beforehand and she was fairly chill the whole ride. Her most recent long trip wasn't as successful (Exhibit A - My not so pleasant Mother of Meows Day 'gift' [IMGS] it was also along some very curvy mountain roads...but that's the only time that has happened.

I'd just share your concerns with your vet and they should be able to give you some Ace for him.
  3. Senior Member
    It isn't really the car ride I was worried about, it is more the ride then the short stay at a new house and then coming home. He doesn't seem to mind the car, though he has only been in it twice with us. I don't know that our vet would give us that unless he had a history of freaking out in the car , she is kind of crunchy granola haha
  4. Senior Member
    Leia has bad anxiety (just like me, go figure)...after her first visit, they had a net in her file that she was required to take Ace before visits...so they probably don't think twice about giving me some for her.

I'd still ask the vet - worst she can do is say no. If she does, hopefully she'll have some sort of advice.

Prior to us coming up to MD, but after we moved out of our place in FL, we stayed with my parents in GA for 2 nights and Leia did fine. She was shy and didn't come out of our room much...but it didn't seem to bother her.
  5. Senior Member
    Some pets would really prefer to be with their people and it doesn't matter where they are. We had a cat that was used to traveling with us (vacation, PCSing, visiting family, etc) and she didn't mind at all. In hotels we always put the litter box in the shower and showed it to her. She would then just jump up on the bed and make herself at home.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Some pets would really prefer to be with their people and it doesn't matter where they are. We had a cat that was used to traveling with us (vacation, PCSing, visiting family, etc) and she didn't mind at all. In hotels we always put the litter box in the shower and showed it to her. She would then just jump up on the bed and make herself at home.

It really comes down to knowing your pet - we have those that would be great with going along and those that would find the whole thing too much to take.
  7. Senior Member

I drove from Nebraska to East Tx with 2 cats and it was torture, they meowed the whole time nonstop. Hotel stays were easy, I bought a togo type little box that you just throw away when you leave.