Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you feed your pitbull/large breed?

1. Senior Member

What do you feed your pitbull/large breed?

Advertisements
    I'm still shopping around for the best food that Saiga will like a lot. I tried Diamond naturals at first but I don't think it was the best option for her so I switched to Taste of the Wild. She eats it and it seems to be working out decent for her, but I feel like she doesn't love it. She's growing fast (6 months old today) but she's pretty skinny for pitbull so I want her to bulk up a bit.

She's on puppy food.

What foods have you had success with? I only feed her grain free diets. Cost is not a concern.

2. Senior Member

VeRus. All American ingredients, never been recalled, and she seems to like the taste.

3. Senior Member

Also, large breeds don't finish growing/filling out until they are about 2, so you want to be careful about her growing too fast, which can lead to health problems.

4. Senior Member
    For my English Mastiff, he eats Natural Balance in the Duck and Potato formula: Natural Balance L.I.D. Potato & Duck Dry Dog Food - Natural Dry Dog Food from petco.com

He has very sensitive skin and if I feed him garbage, he breaks out in a rash. I also supplement him with this: Glyco Flex III Tablets and Soft Chews for Dogs - 1800PetMeds

For that joint supplement, there's 3 "levels". Moose will be 7 in October and I find that he does best with a lower dose of the higher strength version.

Oh, the other thing that you may want to consider... For Moose, I actually take his dry dog food and soak it in warm water for about 10 minutes. I put just enough water in the bowl so that everything gets soft, but not so much that it becomes soupy/runny. I have been told that this helps to prevent bloat. Moose also has a terrible habit of wolfing down his food as fast as possible (he won't even chew the food if I give it to him dry). Your pup probably doesn't have this problem though, based on your OP.

Good luck finding the right combination!
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

6. Senior Member

I don't want her to get huge, but you can see her ribs right now. She's not emaciated or anything. I just think that's too skinny for a pitbull. Her brother is fuller than she is. I'm not worried too much about it because she's healthy and active, but I think she'd eat more if the food tasted better to her. I'm also taking her to get spayed on Monday so she might get some meat on her after that.

She used to just vacuum her food without chewing but she doesn't do it anymore haha. And she never finishes her bowl at once. Sometimes it takes her like 30 minutes to finish eating because she always gets distracted and walks away haha

7. Senior Member
    My dog eats garbage compared to what you want so I can't help you there lol. I just wanted to say my golden retriever ate enough his whole life, he's two now and he only just started filling out a few months ago. We could see his ribs for a while but the vet said as long as he was eating enough she wasn't concerned. So I think it's normal for larger breeds to look skinny for a bit, especially if they're really active.
  8. Senior Member
    My dogs get Blue wilderness chicken flavor.

9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I feed my pit bull gunpowder, nails and small children.
  10. Senior Member
    Try putting chicken broth on it. My dogs are both on taste of the wild, but my smaller dog just prefers his a little softer/ more wet. We put no sodium, organic chicken broth on it and he gobbles it down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast