1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Potty training tips

Advertisements
    Give me all you got!

We pick up our baby on Saturday and I need all the help I can get
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Set a timer for, starting out (he's teeny tiny, right, age wise?) every ten to fifteen minutes, maybe even less if he needs it. As he gets better at holding it, the time can be longer. Keep taking him out and drilling it into his little noggin that it's potty time, not play time. Act like an absolute FOOL dancing and clapping and everything when he does go, even if it's a dribble. I never did a food reward but some dogs are only receptive to that so you do what you gotta do

My biggest thing was always to never use potty training pads in the house because then you train them for that and then have to retrain for outside, plus there's a pretty huge chance that he'll just rip up the paper in .2secs of free time he can find.

Oh, we also trained with bells on the door so that every time we went out the door with the dog, the bells rang. Eventually the dogs figured out that when they needed to go, they banged the bells. So awesome to have that!

Ad, last thing, don't forget he's a baby so he'll be waking up needing to go potty (or already having went) through the night just like a human baby. If you are crating him, make sure you can hear when he gets up at night so you can try to get him out n time and same thing in the mornings.
  3. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Set a timer for, starting out (he's teeny tiny, right, age wise?) every ten to fifteen minutes, maybe even less if he needs it. As he gets better at holding it, the time can be longer. Keep taking him out and drilling it into his little noggin that it's potty time, not play time. Act like an absolute FOOL dancing and clapping and everything when he does go, even if it's a dribble. I never did a food reward but some dogs are only receptive to that so you do what you gotta do

My biggest thing was always to never use potty training pads in the house because then you train them for that and then have to retrain for outside, plus there's a pretty huge chance that he'll just rip up the paper in .2secs of free time he can find.

Oh, we also trained with bells on the door so that every time we went out the door with the dog, the bells rang. Eventually the dogs figured out that when they needed to go, they banged the bells. So awesome to have that!

Ad, last thing, don't forget he's a baby so he'll be waking up needing to go potty (or already having went) through the night just like a human baby. If you are crating him, make sure you can hear when he gets up at night so you can try to get him out n time and same thing in the mornings.
    All of this, especially the bold PLUS take him out every time he wakes up.

and good luck!
  4. Senior Member
    You know, I didn't notice this was in pet pad, and I hovered over it and was like "WAAAHHHT THEY'RE GETTING A BABY?!"

Let him out frequently. I always said "go potty" and then praised them afterwards, and both of my dogs know the phrase now. It's very helpful when it's cold outside and I want them to hurry and up do their business! Also, make sure you give him ample time to do both. DH would always bring Dixie inside after she peed if she didn't poop immediately and then she'd end up pooping in the house.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post

- with one sidenote on the underlined, this is great unless you have a dog with a timid personality who will become overwhelmed/shut down with that response which can actually work against your attempts in training. This is more the exception than the rule, but something to be aware of and consider.

Common times puppies will need to go - when they wake up, after eating/drinking, during play - the last one is one that often gets people because you'll be playing and the pup will just stop and pee and then start playing again. Movement/activity stimulates their systems and can cause that "gotta go now!" to kick in. If you are planning a play session, play for a bit, pause and potty and then go back to playing.

Choose a verbal cue that you want to use - start by using the cue as soon as they DO go potty, so they get the association - you can then start using it as a prompt to get them to go.

Tethering the puppy to you can be a fabulous tool. It means the puppy is ALWAYS within reach of you, you can immediately go out w/out having to stop to leash and you are able to provide absolute direct supervision so you can catch the first hint of a need to go - learning your pup's cues will be key. A lot of the frustration people encounter is that the first indication they see that the pup needs to go is that the pup is peeing or pooping on the rug - when, in fact, there are tons of signs that will come before that if you know your pup and are paying attention to see those first signs.
  6. Senior Member

I always say the same thing to get them "excited" to go outside, TEE TEE! DH just looooves it.. lol Even now at their ages if I saw tee tee they RUN to the door.

Get some big poop bags I would need 2 sometimes with my danes.
  7. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    When you feel like you gotta go, head to the potty.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    I always say the same thing to get them "excited" to go outside, TEE TEE! DH just looooves it.. lol Even now at their ages if I saw tee tee they RUN to the door.

Get some big poop bags I would need 2 sometimes with my danes.
    - our dogs know the words for potty time and play time - either one will get them headed to the door even if they are asleep when you say them out loud (ie in conversation or to one of the other dogs). I like being able to use the cue before we ever go out so they know what we are going to do and can be in the right frame of mind, because for quick potty stops (ie before I leave the house) I want to go out, do their thing and get back in the house with no goofing around.
  9. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Aw I can't believe you're already getting da baaabbbbyyy.

Anyway. Lucy basically trained herself. Since I'm home all the time I took her out every 30 minutes and focused a lot on going outside shortly after she ate or drank. After about a week she just started scratching the back door to go outside. Lol we got really lucky with her. Not counting on the next puppy to be the same
    The praising, treats, etc didn't do much. She looked at us like we were dumbasses if we got excited that she peed outside.
  10. Senior Member
    Agree with everyone. Also want to add not to discipline him for going in the house, just interrupt and take him outside. Tons of praise outside will make him want to go outside when he realizes he gets nothing when he goes inside. Always take him out after a play session too! Sometimes if the play session seems to be going long take a break and run him outside. That was the only time we had problems with Sherlock is he'd be in the middle of a big play session and then decide he really had to go
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast