Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Puppy Sitting frustrations

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Confused Puppy Sitting frustrations

Advertisements
    So one of DH's marines (H) is heading back to NY with his wife to be near family for the birth of their first child. They asked us if we could puppy sit their 4 month old Lab for about 10 days. They informed us that he is quite the eater (kind of a given for Labs) and he was completely housebroken. They arrived, dropped off food and puppy pads for the cutie, and took off.

Ever since we've had this dog, he has peed and pooped everywhere BUT on his puppy pad. I'm talking little piddles here and there; I'm talking about oceans and lakes of urine. He refuses to go outside and wants immediately back in the house. I had to clean up two large puddles and give him a bath because he was lying in the largest one and continued to pee. I've never seen a puppy urinate this much. It's been 2 days and we've used 3 large rolls of paper towels to clean up his messes.

If you ladies can give me any tips or advice. We won't hear from H until either tonight or tomorrow.

FaceSpace
    Instagramy Goodness

AmandaA is my wifey-cakes ~ katebugg07 is my mistress

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How much is he drinking? Does he seem to be taking in an unusual amount of water?
    I am not surprised you may be seeing issues in the new setting that may not have been present in the owner's home -- at his age and depending on the amount of work that has/hasn't been done by the owner it may simply be a matter of him not yet having "generalized" his housebreaking. He may very well know not to eliminate in HIS home, but he hasn't yet figured out that same rule applies to ALL homes. Add in the upheaval of having his human disappear and being thrust into a home of entirely new humans and you have the perfect recipe for some regression on the training.
    At this point my goal would be to minimize the "damage" - I'd contain him to a single, hard floored area such as a bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, etc. Start with a small area, place a pad in an area of that space that he can use and still have some "living" area and let him start to re-figure it out. From there, you can expand the area he has access to and allow him to retrain to the pads. (sidenote - I am NOT a fan of pads at all, but since this is apparently one of the few things that WON"T be changed for him in the new surroundings I'm all about using them for him)
    Take him out frequently (as in every 20-30 minutes at first) and especially at key times when he should need to go (when he wakes, after eating/drinking, during a play session) so he has the most opportunities he can to get it right and when/if he does make it worth it to him (but tailor that to his personality - the usual "excited, happy party" approach may overwhelm a timid puppy and end up making them LESS likely to repeat the behavior rather than more).
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't have too much advice... I know my dog pees in new people's houses sometimes, not because she isn't house trained, just because she gets scared and confused My sister had/has a crazy dog. And it's peed all over just like what you're describing... I guess it was just a house breaking issue in their case, because they've had it a while and it doesn't do it so much any more (it still goes in the house sometimes).

I just wanted mainly to offer to you and the poor doggy.

Is there anyway you could keep him contained somewhere his peeing won't hurt anything/will be easy to clean up?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for the feedback, ladies!

We're trying to keep him downstairs since it's mostly hardwood. I'm not a fan of pee pads either since it just tells them that it's okay to pee and poop in the house. So far he's only had one accident in the house. I'm still wondering why the pup gets so upset when he's put outside. He's also been whining up a storm at night, so DH and I haven't gotten much sleep since we've been watching him.

I really hope it's just nerves and all of this will die down soon

FaceSpace
    Instagramy Goodness

5. Senior Member
    Are you taking him out on a leash or just letting him out in the backyard? maybe he's scared to be out there by himself. the dog I'm watching is perfectly house trained, but I took him upstairs to my neighbor's and he went and peed right away. marking territory? lol nervousness? idk. good luck! wish I had more advice.
  6. Senior Member
    Like another poster said, he might know not to pee in his house, but it hasn't carried to other people's houses yet. The key is to teach him where you DO want him to go. Go outside with him and when he goes outside give him treats and praise. Definitely try to keep him contained in an easy clean area. As far as the barking/whining at night, we didn't let our puppy nap if it was after 2:00 in the afternoon. Then we'd take him for a good long walk at 8:00 ish and he'd be ready to pass out at 9:00. You can move around the times a bit if you go to bed much much later. Does he sleep in a crate at night? What room is he in at night? It helps to keep the crate in your bedroom near the bed.
  7. Senior Member
    We also used to take Sherlock's water away 2 hours before bed, that helped him sleep through the night too.
  8. Senior Member
    Who buys a puppy when they are expecting a baby in a couple months. Bad decision on their part.

Try keeping him tethered to you at all times. Also, it sounds like he doesn't sound like he has a crate, but you can create one by building a little fort out of furniture and whatever you can come up with. If you make it small enough, he's less likely to pee there at all, and you can line it with a puppy pad so if he does pee, there's less mess.

Pee pads aren't good for training, but your job here isn't to train him, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks ladies!

He does have a crate and we were told that he prefers to sleep in his crate at night right outside the bedroom door. Whether he is downstairs, upstairs in our room, upstairs outside of the room he just freaks out and whines.

He was trained to use the pee pads in his own home, but rarely acknowledges them here. I've been working on him when it comes to going outside, but I always stay out there with him. I think they've kept him so cooped up in their home that the outdoors scares him especially when loud cars and motorcycles drive by. I also started taking the water off the floor and only place it down at certain times to prevent him from drinking too much water. He has gone outside to pee and I've rewarded him with praise and treats and he seems to be doing well with that today.

I'm wondering how truthful this couple was about how their dog was trained.

FaceSpace
    Instagramy Goodness