Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat diet

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Cat diet

Advertisements
    Mt old lady cat at the humane society can't eat her kibble, don't think her teeth can handle it. Is an all moist diet ok for cats?

If not what suggestions do you have?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Well, it is certainly preferable to her not being able to eat at all There is nothing "wrong" with feeding an all moist diet. You can feed raw or cooked meats (they can be minced or, if necessary ground), commercial canned foods, moistened kibble, etc.
    That said, have you had her teeth and mouth checked? It may be a more minor issue than total dental failure and may be correctable.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The last few years old man was kicking he ate all wet food, made his litter a bit more smelly but that's about it. An older cat might require a difference balance of nutrients so checking with the vet might be best.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Is it worse for their teeth? Yes. If she has bad teeth already that arent being fixed, any food is good food.
  5. Senior Member
    Actually, an all wet food diet is better for a cat than a dry food diet. If you want to read more about that, here is a good website: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

My experience is different that Procella's, when we switched to an all canned food diet, the poop became less smelly.
  6. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Well, it is certainly preferable to her not being able to eat at all There is nothing "wrong" with feeding an all moist diet. You can feed raw or cooked meats (they can be minced or, if necessary ground), commercial canned foods, moistened kibble, etc.
    That said, have you had her teeth and mouth checked? It may be a more minor issue than total dental failure and may be correctable.
    It's in the cards after her other health issues are re-evaluated to get her teeth and all that checked, it's also a matter of if the humane society can get the money to get anything fixed. Her finder was donating money for her health care at one point, but I'm not sure if she still is or not.

Right now we're mixing wet food, kibble and water,but she's not eating that much and when we separate it she eats more of the wet, even if the kibble is soaked in water.
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Is it worse for their teeth? Yes. If she has bad teeth already that arent being fixed, any food is good food.
    See that's the thing I'm not sure how her teeth are, we've had to focus on just about everything else at some point, her finder did holitstic treatment and didn't tell the vet they were taking her to what she was doing and she came to us in bad state. She's gotten so much better though. I think at some point her teeth were a concern, but I can't remember.
  8. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    The last few years old man was kicking he ate all wet food, made his litter a bit more smelly but that's about it. An older cat might require a difference balance of nutrients so checking with the vet might be best.
    Well we'd take being able to get a BM out of her, no matter the smell.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Is there a foul odor if you open her mouth/smell her breath? Are you able to manipulate her mouth yourself at all so that you could see enough for at least a cursory visual inspection? If so, are her gums inflamed, swollen, etc? Are her teeth mostly there or mostly missing? What do the teeth look like?
  10. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Is there a foul odor if you open her mouth/smell her breath? Are you able to manipulate her mouth yourself at all so that you could see enough for at least a cursory visual inspection? If so, are her gums inflamed, swollen, etc? Are her teeth mostly there or mostly missing? What do the teeth look like?
    Just checked with the director of cats, and she checked with someone else, her teeth were checked, they're bad, vet has the exact records. They're going to check with the vet the next time she's in and see what we need to do to make sure we get her the adequate nutrition, but we have the go ahead to do wet food only from the higher ups, they just want her to eat and be has happy has possible.

Frankly I'll just be happy when I get moved and settled and I can foster her, cause she deserves it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast