Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop destruction?

1. Senior Member

How do you stop destruction?

Advertisements

This little girl's only flaw is chewing. She lives outside with 2 other dogs that she loves to play with and run around with, but she'll still chew on wooden chairs, plants, shoes that were out of her reach (or so we thought), and just anything. When she's inside we can't leave her unattended either. I'd give her toys outside, but the adult pitbull will destroy them. She's 5 months old so I know she's in her teething stages, but I need to figure out how to stop her before my boyfriend's parents kick us both out lol.

There's also an avocado tree in the back yard and she keeps pulling off the avocados she can reach from the tree. This worries me because avocados are toxic for dogs and I don't want her eating them.

She's super smart and easy to train, but I don't know what to do about the chewing. Advice please!!!!

2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Crate training and no unsupervised time, that and maybe bitter apple and positive training.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No advice really, I agree with the no unsupervised time. You might be able to keep her on a longer leash in the house? So she can't run and hide from being supervised?

But I wonder about the avocados thing because I know someone who is into all the herbal medicine stuff, and she runs a business doing it for animals and she told me it would be good to feed our dog avocados
  4. Senior Member

The problem is when she's outside not inside. I can watch her when she's inside but when we're all at work she's outside with the other dogs

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Maybe crate her when you are out of the house?

Side note.... Avocado tree??? I want an avocado tree!!!!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CC22 View Post
    No advice really, I agree with the no unsupervised time. You might be able to keep her on a longer leash in the house? So she can't run and hide from being supervised?

But I wonder about the avocados thing because I know someone who is into all the herbal medicine stuff, and she runs a business doing it for animals and she told me it would be good to feed our dog avocados

Avocados are good for dogs but I think its the seeds that are harmful

I also agree with crate training her. Also, a bored dog tends to be a bad/destructive dog. She may not be getting enough exercise. Maybe try taking her for long walks and jogging with her. I know my two pit mixes need to be walked a lot. Putting them in fenced in yard still doesn't do the trick but going the extra mile and walking them several times a day really helps.
  7. Senior Member
    p.s. she is adorable!
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollbie View Post
    The problem is when she's outside not inside. I can watch her when she's inside but when we're all at work she's outside with the other dogs
    Oh, well, then don't leave anything out for her to chew on, lol. Pick the avocados before she can get them or put some kind of fence around the tree? There's gotta be some toy the other dog wouldn't destroy, or something inexpensive so it wouldn't matter. Like I know lots of dogs like crunching on pop bottles (probably not good if he's gonna rip it apart and swallow it though) and our neighbors have one of those big rope toys with knots in it, the dogs LOVE playing tug of war with each other.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    One thing that works great for most dogs is bitter spray for pets, you can get it at the pet store.They will get the taste in their mouth if they start chewing and its so yucky to them they will leave it alone after that. Spray it on the common items you want her to leave alone like the furniture ect. Also TONS of bones and other chew toys everywhere she is, if she is a strong chewer (or another dog is) they make some chew toys specifically to withstand that so it cant be destroyed. I'm not sure how you could keep her from the avocado tree except never leaving her out there alone. I agree with others, its best you crate train her for when you leave and (Im sure you know) never leave toys in there with her unsupervised. Shes really adorable! Good luck!
  10. Senior Member

I do walk her often. But she hates the heat and since I work nights it's hard to find time to go when it's not hot. But I take her to the park, dog park, dog beach, and anywhere as much as I can. Which is almost every day. Crate training is gonna be hard when the other dogs can run around free. As far as super durable chew toys, the other pitbull will destroy anything. There's nothing she hasn't destroyed yet. They do like water bottles so we always let them have some to play with.

I hope she stops once she's done teething :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast