Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Itchy

1. Senior Member

Confused Itchy

Advertisements

My poor baby (German Shepherd) has been super itchy the past couple days. Mostly on her back and belly.

Yesterday I gave her a bath to make sure there was no soap residue on her skin (she just had a bath last week, right before this started). That seemed to help a little; the groomer (it's a do-it-yourself dog wash) gave me some aloe conditioner to help soothe her skin.
    I've checked her for bugs, the groomer also checked her - nothing.
    She's had spring allergies before, but I don't remember anything this late in the season.
    No recent diet changes.
    She hasn't been any place new.

I have some of her allergy meds that I'll try (it's an as-needed dosage)
    I also give her coconut oil on a regular basis.

Any ideas of how to make her feel better?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Any new bed she has been using? Does she get on your bed and, if so has the bedding been washed recently?
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Any new bed she has been using? Does she get on your bed and, if so has the bedding been washed recently?
    That's what's so baffling. She's had her current bed about 3 months. And we haven't changed detergents recently.
    Right now, I'm sitting in my living room trying to see if anything is different, and I just can't figure anything out.

I gave her a new treat about a week ago (Amazon.com: Zuke's Z-Bones Natural Edible Clean Cherry Berry Mini Dog Dental Chews, Pack of 18: Pet Supplies) but she only had the one, so I'd think if it was a reaction to that it would be out of her system by now.

4. Senior Member
    My dog will occasionally get really itchy. I have special shampoo that the vet gave us and they also suggested giving fish oil daily. It helps improve their skin and their coat and it has really helped my dog. He hasn't been itchy since starting the fish oil pills.

They make it in a pump so you can directly pump the oil onto their food, you can give them the pills directly, or you can cut open the pills and squirt it on their food (which is what I do). Hopefully she finds some relief soon!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kms51211 View Post
    My dog will occasionally get really itchy. I have special shampoo that the vet gave us and they also suggested giving fish oil daily. It helps improve their skin and their coat and it has really helped my dog. He hasn't been itchy since starting the fish oil pills.
    This.
    My GSD had the same issue and we were given a special shampoo from our vet as well and haven't had issues since. If nothing clears up soon it may be a good idea to ask your vet.
    Also, if the shampoo from the dog wash was different/new maybe she is allergic to it?
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redczarista View Post
    This.
    My GSD had the same issue and we were given a special shampoo from our vet as well and haven't had issues since. If nothing clears up soon it may be a good idea to ask your vet.
    Also, if the shampoo from the dog wash was different/new maybe she is allergic to it?
    What's the shampoo from your vet?

It was the same shampoo at the dog wash.