Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Parvo in older dogs/dogs with all vaccines? (this is mad long)

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Parvo in older dogs/dogs with all vaccines? (this is mad long)

Advertisements
    On Saturday, Elliot got crazy sick. Vomiting, diarrhea (though he was actually barely pooping at all) and lethargy. I took him to the emergency vet thinking he had a blockage. We xrayed and it showed no blockage, but the vet theorized that Elliot ate a toy's fluffing and that could cause his sickness. He got some anti-nauseau meds, some other shot (maybe an antibiotic?), fluids (he was dehydrated) and then some oral antibiotics for at home and anti nausea pills for at home. He was still lethargic Sunday but by Monday was perking up.

Meanwhile Ghost (aka abandoned puppy that I initially did not want but who is now a part of our family) starting vomiting Sunday night/Monday morning. He stopped vomiting by the afternoon, but had bad diarrhea. Never got lethargic and drank a lot of water so he never got dehydrated. Yesterday I took him to the vet too. He got the same treatment of Elliot, except he got some fiber tablets instead of anti-nausea pills because he was having more diarrhea than vomit. Vet said it was probably some type of virus or something they got into in the yard. Okay. Ghost is still a little watery on the poop side, but he seems pretty good otherwise now.

ONTO THE WHOLE PARVO THING
    Today DH was chatting with the neighbors and our neighbor informs him that our lawn care company is under investigation for not properly cleaning equipment or something. Whatever...chat, chat, chat. A bunch of dogs on post are also dying from parvo! So he tells us to keep an eye on the boys. DH puts two and two together...is it possible our dogs had/have parvo? Elliot is 3 years old (well, he will be on August 1st!) and Ghost is still a bitty baby but he has all of his shots. I mean, I'm not super worried because the treatment from the vet worked and they're better, but is it possible for them to have parvo and have symptoms? I thought once they had vaccines and such parvo was a non-issue? Could the lawn care company not cleaning equipment have spread parvo?

I mean, it's really a non issue for us now because the guys are feeling better, but I'm just curious if it's possible that's what it was.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Did they run a fecal test?
  3. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    Did they run a fecal test?
    He checked Elliot for parasites under a microscope...Is that how they check for parvo too?
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Vaccinations provide increase protection from a disease, but doesnt mean they may not have symptoms. Most will never show symptoms, but 5% will. The key difference is instead of your dogs dying from parvo, they got the runs and it was over in a day or two. Or it could be 100 other infectious diseases (flu, herpes (not like human herpes, its just a virus), adeno, salmonella, clostridia, etc..)
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by bajingo View Post
    He checked Elliot for parasites under a microscope...Is that how they check for parvo too?
    No, Parvo is a PCR snap test.
  6. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Ah. Well, he didn't test for parvo. I think he figured Elliot was a big boy and wouldn't have it We were more worried about a possible blockage and hadn't been thinking virus at that time.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway since my poopers are fine. I was just suddenly scared that something horrible could have happened. I'm glad I chose to take Elliot in in case. Better safe than sorry when it comes to my little loves!