Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucy my dear....(advice welcome)

1. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Lucy my dear....(advice welcome)

Advertisements
    You are an asshoooole.

Last night she was put in her crate before I went to bed. All was well. I took a shower and laid in bed to eat candy and watch tv and she starts freaking the fuck out, howling, barking, whining, the whole shebang. Which, she is used to "bedtime sounds" since we sleep with the tv on, and don't always go to sleep right away. So I'm like okay really. It's freaking 1230 right now I don't wanna deal with this. But I get up anyway to make sure she's okay, (and that no one broke in or something haha) I take her outside, and give her water cause its hot as shit and hang out with her a bit. Put her back in, praise her for going into the crate and go back to bed. Few minutes later she's going buck wild again. Oh and both times i take her out she's going NUTS like she hasn't seen me in a week.

So I decide fuck it and just bring her to bed with me. Which I don't want to do but my kids would have woken up and my sister was visiting.

She did this a few times when DH was underway in may.(and he was on duty last night therefore not home)

Could this be a new fun thing I have to deal with? Maybe she was too hot? (She was panting, and drank aome water) Maybe she's just a dick? She goes in the crate at night and when I leave the house. Otherwise she gets lots of attention and stuff. Never has problems besides these few times. I do plan to leave the ac on tonight to see if that does anything.

I feel dumb for this post lol. But I really don't want her in my bed yet. I want to test the waters a little more once DH leaves for the deployment because ill be lonely and she will be over a year old but I'm paranoid about her chewing shit up. Plus if the kids come in my room in the middle of the night she will get wound up and excited.

And here's a picture since I feel like a moron

2. Regular Member
    I have no advice (sorry), I am just going to squee and have raging puppy-fever. She's so cuuuuuuuute!!
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Imagine this:

You are left alone. All you wanna do is see a person, so you freak out, and when you do, a person comes to you! So then you are left alone again, what are you most likely gonna do to get a person back again? What worked last time. Even better if that person brings you to her bed.

Training a puppy to stay alone can suck, but its something liek CIO- you just gotta let them work themselves out (so long as you know they arent dying or something).
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    In that sort of scenario with any dog I am working with I go through the following:
    a) eliminate the possibility that something is "wrong" and causing the behavior (this means, you come out -on leash so it's clear it isn't fun time release - and I give you a thorough once over)
    b) we go outside - it is ALL BUSINESS - again, this is on leash, we go to the potty spot, you are given your potty command and you either produce or not. We don't dick around, you have a chance to go and that's that.
    c) you go back in your kennel and further ruckus is ignored. Is it fun to ignore it - no. Might it disturb others in the house - yes. Will responding to it (ie letting her into your bed) prolong the issue, absolutely. Short term pain (people being woken up) is my preference to long-term issues.
  5. Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Imagine this:

You are left alone. All you wanna do is see a person, so you freak out, and when you do, a person comes to you! So then you are left alone again, what are you most likely gonna do to get a person back again? What worked last time. Even better if that person brings you to her bed.

Training a puppy to stay alone can suck, but its something liek CIO- you just gotta let them work themselves out (so long as you know they arent dying or something).
    So she's testing me? Haha. She is perfectly fine 99% of the time except random times like last night. I have asked my neighbors of they can hear her and they said no so it wouldn't be a problem to let her CIO (minus my kids waking up but it's easier to tell them to go to sleep than a dog haha)
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    In that sort of scenario with any dog I am working with I go through the following:
    a) eliminate the possibility that something is "wrong" and causing the behavior (this means, you come out -on leash so it's clear it isn't fun time release - and I give you a thorough once over)
    b) we go outside - it is ALL BUSINESS - again, this is on leash, we go to the potty spot, you are given your potty command and you either produce or not. We don't dick around, you have a chance to go and that's that.
    c) you go back in your kennel and further ruckus is ignored. Is it fun to ignore it - no. Might it disturb others in the house - yes. Will responding to it (ie letting her into your bed) prolong the issue, absolutely. Short term pain (people being woken up) is my preference to long-term issues.
    That's how I handled it when we started crate training. I just wasn't sure if she's testing me or what.
  7. Senior Member
    With our dog, it is usually attention she wants, but if she is howling it is because she can hear sirens. That means if she starts howling I know we can ignore it and nothing is wrong, while barking can mean that she needs to be taken out. I'm just throwing this out there because sometimes it is easier to extinguish the behavior if you know you can ignore some things because there truly is nothing wrong.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    With our dog, it is usually attention she wants, but if she is howling it is because she can hear sirens. That means if she starts howling I know we can ignore it and nothing is wrong, while barking can mean that she needs to be taken out. I'm just throwing this out there because sometimes it is easier to extinguish the behavior if you know you can ignore some things because there truly is nothing wrong.
    I wish it was that easy with her. She really doesn't make much noise consistently unless she's outside and there's another dog or a person(or today a cicada dead on our fence) and she gets loud when people come over.
  10. Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    She s you too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast