Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass Rash?

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Grass Rash?

Advertisements
    We went to Montana last week and took our dog with us. He was in a lot of long grass and on a lead for most of the two days. As soon as we were ready to leave we checked him out to make sure he wasn't bringing any critters home with us and he was clean. No ticks, or fleas, or any other type of bugs.

We have been home about a week now and I noticed 2 days ago that his belly was red and he had super dry skin. He's been itchy and slightly patchy in his elbows and joints from all his scratching and rubbing. We called the vet and they said he was probably just allergic to the grass and would be fine but to give him a bath with dawn. So we gave him a bath and he did great loved it surprisingly but it isn't any better. His skin is skill really dry on his belly and he is chewing and scratching but it hasn't effected his sleeping or eating or potty time at all so idk if it is even something to worry about or if it will work itself out? Any idea how to help him out? Or What it actually is?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hmm, Butters has an allergy to a certain type of grass but whenever he has a reaction he is always licking and biting his paws.

Dogs can have Benadryl for allergy relief though, maybe try that? I'm not familiar with dosages though, I just follow what my vet recommends for Butters but I think it goes by weight.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Here is kinda what it looks like

4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Hmm, Butters has an allergy to a certain type of grass but whenever he has a reaction he is always licking and biting his paws.

Dogs can have Benadryl for allergy relief though, maybe try that? I'm not familiar with dosages though, I just follow what my vet recommends for Butters but I think it goes by weight.
    He can't have Benadryl. It makes him anxious and he messes in the house and bounces off the walls and makes this funny high pitched dying noise it's HORRID . Would another antihistamine maybe work?
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awww he really does look red and itchy!

I have no idea about what other antihistamines are good for dogs. I hope he starts feeling better soon though.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Awww he really does look red and itchy!

I have no idea about what other antihistamines are good for dogs. I hope he starts feeling better soon though.
    Thanks I hope he does too. I am hopin it clears up. The bath helped a tid but not as much as a I had hoped.
    I feel so bad for him, even though he doesn't act like it's super buggin him it looks bad.
  7. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    My dogs belly practically looks likes that all summer long because has a lot of allergies to the outdoors. I pretty much treat him with benedryl ( or something stronger like Hydroxazine/Chlorphenamarine) and I only bath him when absolutely necessary because while it does remove whatever is itching him it dries out his skin and almost makes him itchier than he was to begin with kwim? I prefer to wipe down his belly and legs with water or baby wipes and spray down his belly with an antihistamine. It's an uphill battle and he is never totally free of a little red bump here or there but he's comfortable.
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    My dogs belly practically looks likes that all summer long because has a lot of allergies to the outdoors. I pretty much treat him with benedryl ( or something stronger like Hydroxazine/Chlorphenamarine) and I only bath him when absolutely necessary because while it does remove whatever is itching him it dries out his skin and almost makes him itchier than he was to begin with kwim? I prefer to wipe down his belly and legs with water or baby wipes and spray down his belly with an antihistamine. It's an uphill battle and he is never totally free of a little red bump here or there but he's comfortable.
    I have like the spray Eucerine cream stuff you think that would help?
  9. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by just, Chaleigh View Post
    I have like the spray Eucerine cream stuff you think that would help?
    Might help soothe the itching.

Is it the one labeled for itch relief? I tried to google it and see the ingredients but there are a couple different ones.

ETA: I have a tube of hydrocortisone that I slather on his belly (or anywhere else) when it's really bugging him. It works great!
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    Might help soothe the itching.

Is it the one labeled for itch relief? I tried to google it and see the ingredients but there are a couple different ones.

ETA: I have a tube of hydrocortisone that I slather on his belly (or anywhere else) when it's really bugging him. It works great!
    Ya it's the itch stuff. It's baby safe so I figured probably dog safe? I put cream on him the other day it made a huge mess he scratched it all off on my rug which is now all oily.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast