Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog allergic to EVERYTHING (almost)

1. Senior Member

Dog allergic to EVERYTHING (almost)

Advertisements
    My pup Sadie has been suffering with very red and sore paws, no problems with any other parts of her skin. Steriods and antibiotics failed to help, so they did an allergy blood test.

She came back as allergic to the food group and "UK grasses"

The Vet suggested cheapest way to do would be to have them test more in the food group and see if changing her diet helps, if not we will look more into the grasses.

So she is allergic to Soy, Wheat, Corn(Maize), Rice and Potato!!! Now I have to find a food suitable, the Vet has suggested Purina Hypoallergenic which is $$$$$$

Wondering if anyone has experience with this and has any food suggestions (I would like to find a US food, so I don't have to switch her again when we PCS to the States in Feb next year)

Poor pup, thats also a lot of her favorite treats that have to go as well!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Are you open to doing a RAW diet - that would be purely protein based and avoid the grain/potato aspect of it.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Are you open to doing a RAW diet - that would be purely protein based and avoid the grain/potato aspect of it.
    I am open to anything now, I never thought I would but this changes a lot. I feel so bad my poor pup, I've been giving her food that hurts her everyday! And I will have to continue feeding her that until I find something to replace
  4. Senior Member
    My DH put together a list of 4 and 5 star dog foods that will ship APO on amazon. There may be a few on there with ingredients that will work!
    Amazon.com: T: Dog Food - APO Shipping

Our friends have a dog with allergies and we suggested an apple cider vinegar foot soak to them and it has COMPLETELY cleared up his paws. He used to rip his pads off and now they don't bother him at all. Use about 1 cup per gallon of water. Just have her stand in it for a few minutes and swish her feet around or parade her through it so it gets all up in there. Then just pat her feet dry and do not rinse. You can do it as much as you want. Some dogs need it after every walk or daily, others less often. I would probably start with daily and once it clears up you may be able to cut back to 1-2 times a week or so.

Hopefully that helps!!
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We know someone whose dog is allergic to tons of different carbs like yours, and she eats some kind of food that has barley and oats in it instead of the usual grains or potato. I'm not sure if that would be cheaper than the hypoallergenic but if she can tolerate those things maybe it'd be worth looking around?
  6. Senior Member
    pretty much any grain free kibble should fit the bill. orijen seems like it'd be a great fit!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    My DH put together a list of 4 and 5 star dog foods that will ship APO on amazon. There may be a few on there with ingredients that will work!
    Amazon.com: T: Dog Food - APO Shipping

Our friends have a dog with allergies and we suggested an apple cider vinegar foot soak to them and it has COMPLETELY cleared up his paws. He used to rip his pads off and now they don't bother him at all. Use about 1 cup per gallon of water. Just have her stand in it for a few minutes and swish her feet around or parade her through it so it gets all up in there. Then just pat her feet dry and do not rinse. You can do it as much as you want. Some dogs need it after every walk or daily, others less often. I would probably start with daily and once it clears up you may be able to cut back to 1-2 times a week or so.

Hopefully that helps!!
    That Amazon list is great (though lots are not shipping to APO anymore, that seems to be increasing on Amazon) and I will try that apple cider vinegar thing for sure! Thank you!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    pretty much any grain free kibble should fit the bill. orijen seems like it'd be a great fit!
    Wow, there are lots of US options! In the UK I have found maybe 3 options. Now just gotta decide which, they all sound fab to me!
  9. Senior Member
    also, your vet doesn't sound very reliable. you say that your dog is allergic to soy and corn? well guess what purina hypoallergenic has in it? yep, soy and corn!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    That Amazon list is great (though lots are not shipping to APO anymore, that seems to be increasing on Amazon) and I will try that apple cider vinegar thing for sure! Thank you!
    There is also petfooddirect.com and they ship APO. We always use amazon when we can because we have amazon prime, so free shipping. I don't think the shipping with pet food direct is bad though, and you get your stuff in about a week too.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast