Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Something to keep the flies away?

1. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

Something to keep the flies away?

Advertisements
    Does anyone know of a good product to keep the flies off of my poor pupper? With all of the rain we have had lately they are terrible and biting at his ears! He keeps diving in his pool to get them off of him

Thoughts? Opinions on what works?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How much time per day is he spending outside and during what hours of the day?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Also, what type(s) of flies are you having issues with - there are different approaches to lessen exposure depending on the type of fly one is having issues with.
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    How much time per day is he spending outside and during what hours of the day?
    Also, what type(s) of flies are you having issues with - there are different approaches to lessen exposure depending on the type of fly one is having issues with.
    He spends all his time outdoors, he is a farm dog. He does have a shed that he goes into that is cooled/heated when he wants, but he likes the grass better I want to say they are fruit/horse type flies, but I'm not sure. I guess I've always thought of a fly as fly!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    you mentioned ears so I am picturing small, black flies (kind of gnatty for comparison sake)....or are the large, heavy bodied flies? horse flies tend to be large, deer flies are smaller than horse flies but still bigger than house flies and most flies that bother ears are little, swarmy buggars. The larger flies are more solitary than swarming.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    you mentioned ears so I am picturing small, black flies (kind of gnatty for comparison sake)....or are the large, heavy bodied flies? horse flies tend to be large, deer flies are smaller than horse flies but still bigger than house flies and most flies that bother ears are little, swarmy buggars. The larger flies are more solitary than swarming.
    Unfortunately...right now we have both!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The pool may complicate some approaches because he will be washing off whatever you use. For ears, I would suggest picking up a tub of "SWAT" from your local farm store - a bonus to this product is that it is a thick/goopy product similar to vaseline in consistency and is more water resistant than some other topicals or sprays so it won't require constant reapplication. You can also try/use Skin So Soft (AVON). Since he likes to lay in the grassy areas, planting some catnip can help in a round about way - if he lays in/rolls on the catnip it will transfer to his coat and has a tendency to be repellant to some biting insects.
  8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Thanks Ziva! This was extremely helpful!!