Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primitive breeds

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Primitive breeds

Advertisements
    Any other furmommas with a primitive breed?

What kind, and how do you find it different than owning other dogs?
  2. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Can I just ask which breed you have? I love talking about dogs. lol

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We have a Basenji.

She is a very typical basenji, too. We are currently working on socializing her, well.... it is more desensitizing lol

I am super intrested in primitive breeds, we were realllllly wanting a Canaan dog, but we could not find a breeder anywhere close.
  4. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    We have a Basenji.

She is a very typical basenji, too. We are currently working on socializing her, well.... it is more desensitizing lol

I am super intrested in primitive breeds, we were realllllly wanting a Canaan dog, but we could not find a breeder anywhere close.
    Ive looked at a Canaan dog sooo many times. But. I dont think I am quite experienced enough to give one the attention and training it needs, nor do I wish to spend thousands of dollars on one, plus go find one! Just for fun one day, I look up breeders. I found one..

In Israel.
    Thats gonna be a problem. Lol. But I have also looked very seriously at Portuguese Podengos. We had a wirehaired Portuguese Podengo come into the shelter one time and holy crap that dog was cute and sooo well behaved. I was shocked that someone wasnt looking for him. Such a sweet dog. My favorite thing to do was to open his run door and sit on the edge, he would come lay his head in my lap and just pass out. Lol.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I just stumbled on to the canaan dog club of America, and they have a list of breeders. Not sure why I never saw it before. But still, those dogs are expensive!

Some day, i would really like to show a dog. Just not sure what dog I want to show.
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Well, Gatsby is a Chihuahua mix & Chihuahuas are considered one of, if not the, most primitive breeds. They are considered that because they're known for bonding with one person. He is also mixed with Cocker Spaniel, which is again a primitive breed known for their "rage syndrome" so there really is no non-primitive breed in him to kind of counteract it. He's a big softy but you can't underestimate him because of his size. But I think the only thing "different" about owning him vs. owning another dog is the bonding aspect of his Chihuahua part. He will melt down if I am gone. If someone else has to watch him, he loses all his training... just completely forgets it so I hope you have a good carpet cleaning product. He's a bit better if someone watches him in our house but the second he's somewhere else, all bets are off.

I also owned a Dalmatation. We had her when she was only a few months old (when I was 6) & she passed away when I was 20. She was VERY protective. She was also deaf (common in Dalmatation) so that didn't help with it. The thing with this breed is that they are hyper upon hyper upon complete spaz. She was definitely not good around young kids (except us) so during birthday parties, she had to be kept away. She actually bit my sister's friend & went after one of mine when we were younger (she got put in more training afterwards). She was definitely a handful & piece of work but at the end of the day, she was one of the best dogs I could have ever asked for.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I think it would be really cool to show a dog but I dont think I ever will. I do know that in the future I want to own an Irish Wolfhound. Totally not a primitive breed but awesome none the less. Then again that is another dog that requires a lot of special attention, both training wise and medically. So who knows.

8. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    What constitutes a primative breed? I want a Northern Inuit.. is that one of 'em?
  9. Senior Member
    DH's aunt and uncle have a basenji. If it wasn't for the fact that we like having a dog that barks we'd have one I think they're such awesome dogs because of his pack mentality despite their stubborn nature.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think of a dog that is not far from natural.

Like, basenjis still exist in the wild. It was not too long ago that they did an African stocking project, where they took dogs from the African wild to integrate into the breeding stock.

These are the kinds of dogs I think of when we talk of primitive breeds. LINK
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast