Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting our little pupl in August!

1. Regular Member

Getting our little pupl in August!

Advertisements
    We've been waiting for this for a long time. We get to pick her up the first week of August. Still haven't figured out what we'll feed her, or if we'll crate train. We're also looking into local dog parks, there are two around here. This will be the first time we'll be raising a puppy from 8 weeks old. Most of my dogs came from the pound at 1+ years old so I've never really potty trained. I hope it'll be easier than my dog who had nervous peeing.

Any tips on potty training and what to feed her? We're looking for a dry food that has a real meat as the first ingredient, and less grains.

Here is a picture of her:
  2. Senior Member
    I can't recommend a dog food but omg please crate train. If you do it correctly its the best thing ever, my dog is an angel because of it.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Crate training! -- done correctly it is the best, imo, approach for both dog and human. Tethering is great for times when the dog is out of the crate as it eliminates those accidents that occur when he/she slips from your view for a second and gives you an immediate ability to move the pup outside to potty if/when you see potty cues taking place.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Choosing a food is going to depend on your budget, whether you notice any dietary sensitivities, etc. I would suggest using the time between now and when you get her to spend some time researching various kibbles to select the one that best fits all your criteria (dogfoodadvisor, dogfoodanalysis, etc are great sites to use). Regardless of what food you choose, ask the breeder what she is eating when you pick her up and obtain enough kibble (some breeders will provide you some, otherwise you will need to purchase a small bag) to make a gradual transition to the food you have chosen. Any food left at the end of your transition period can be donated to your local animal shelter, so there is no "waste" in buying a bag you won't necessarily use all of.
  5. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I can't recommend a dog food but omg please crate train. If you do it correctly its the best thing ever, my dog is an angel because of it.
    Yes!! There are so many of us on here that have done it if you ever have questions! What kind of pup is she?
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    Yes!! There are so many of us on here that have done it if you ever have questions! What kind of pup is she?
    She is a red and white Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
  7. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysmiles View Post
    She is a red and white Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Nice! I grew up with a corgi and he along with our lab worked as protection dogs on our citrus farm. Not exactly the first career choice for a corgi but he was damn good at.
    As far as food goes everyone has their own opinion on what is best. Currently my favorite is Natures recipe (I've also used Natural balance, Diamond, Purina Proplan, Taste of the wild and Premuim choice). To me it is a compromise between value and cost, I don't want to feed my dogs the cheapest food just so I can have a few more bucks in my pocket. Since your girl will be considerably smaller than my two you probably won't buy the largest size bag (like I do) and the food will last you longer so you may have more options available to you. When your looking at picking out a food always check that the first ingredient is actually a meat (lamb, chicken, beef etc.). Also ask you breeder what she recommends!