Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Flying cats on a long flight?

  1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Katiebeth86's Avatar
    Katiebeth86 is offline
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The one & only Jersey
    Posts
    4,827

    #1

    Flying cats on a long flight?

    Advertisements
    My cat Ruby should be here in August. She passed all over tests and on August 16, she is eligible for the 5 day or less program Hawaii has so she won't have to go into quarantine here. My mom and dad have been taking care of her in the mean time. I was talking about Ruby flying over in August and my mom started to get really upset. She says she think the cat is not going to do well on the flight and that I should reconsider leaving her with them. I know a lot of people have flown dogs, cats and other animals before. Does anyone have any stories to share or advice about a cat flying on a 10 hour flight?


  2. Senior Member
    CPANavyWife's Avatar
    CPANavyWife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,476
    #2
    Is the cat going to fly in cabin? My cat flew from the Washington DC to Vegas in May and we managed to find someone willing to let him fly with him in the cabin. That way he could have a soft carrier and be in a better environment than cargo. It worked well for us. The breeder placed a puppy pad in his carrier in case he had an accident.

    And if that wasn't enough, I then had to drive six hours after he arrived in Vegas to get him home. I had a large carrier placed in the back of my SUV with a litter box so he could go if he needed to.

    Kitty was a bit irritated, but absolutely a sweetheart and handled it like a pro. I also use Rescue Remedy on his ears to help as a homeopathic calming solution. You can get that on Amazon or at GNC

    On the cargo route, my breeder has shipped cats worldwide and she said it is touch and go. The cat could have a bad experience or based on the personality of the cat, it may affect them more than anticipated.

    My problem with my breed of cat is, they are a people cat, they are happy as long as they are with their people and we didn't want to chance traumatizing him by him flying in cargo so we waited and found a friend traveling out this way. He could have been fine but you don't know until you try because each cat is different
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kings Bay, GA
    Posts
    6,535

    #3
    I just flew my two dogs and a single sailor's two cats from Hawaii to Guam (about the same flight time) last year. Everyone did fine (oh, they were all excess baggage under the plane). My lab was pretty angry with me and wouldn't even look at me the first 24hours we were in the hotel but my Yorkie and the cats, they stayed with friends, were all fine. A little scared and confused since we moved and they were with other people but they did great.

    I think I was more upset and worried than they were, to be honest, except my lab was pretty pissed about being in a crate since he's 10years old and was never crated with us.
  4. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Zatchbell322's Avatar
    Zatchbell322 is offline
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    854
    #4
    I have no experience flying cats but when we drove to Jacksonville from Oklahoma our cats were confined for close to ten hours in the car. Sure they were pissed but they are strictly indoor so being outside of their "comfort zone" made them turn into little statues and they didn't make a peep or move for that matter the entire time. Even when we got out to walk the dogs and stretch our legs. One of us would stay in the car with them while the other was out and I guess all the new smells and sights was to much for them to even act curious. If it was my cat I would do it, they especially are resilient and as long as she has ample time to potty before hand she should be ok (we also took their water away a few hours before we got on the road so they hopefully wouldn't have to be stuck with a full bladder)
  5. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Katiebeth86's Avatar
    Katiebeth86 is offline
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The one & only Jersey
    Posts
    4,827

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    Is the cat going to fly in cabin? My cat flew from the Washington DC to Vegas in May and we managed to find someone willing to let him fly with him in the cabin. That way he could have a soft carrier and be in a better environment than cargo. It worked well for us. The breeder placed a puppy pad in his carrier in case he had an accident.

    And if that wasn't enough, I then had to drive six hours after he arrived in Vegas to get him home. I had a large carrier placed in the back of my SUV with a litter box so he could go if he needed to.

    Kitty was a bit irritated, but absolutely a sweetheart and handled it like a pro. I also use Rescue Remedy on his ears to help as a homeopathic calming solution. You can get that on Amazon or at GNC

    On the cargo route, my breeder has shipped cats worldwide and she said it is touch and go. The cat could have a bad experience or based on the personality of the cat, it may affect them more than anticipated.

    My problem with my breed of cat is, they are a people cat, they are happy as long as they are with their people and we didn't want to chance traumatizing him by him flying in cargo so we waited and found a friend traveling out this way. He could have been fine but you don't know until you try because each cat is different
    Thanks to Hawaii's strict rules regarding bringing in animals from other places, cats and dogs who would normally fly in the cabin, can't. They must go as cargo. When we leave Hawaii, then she would be able to fly in the cabin on certain airlines. The carrier has enough room for the cat to stand up, turn around, and walk a few steps. I really wish she could fly in cabin but oh well.

    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I just flew my two dogs and a single sailor's two cats from Hawaii to Guam (about the same flight time) last year. Everyone did fine (oh, they were all excess baggage under the plane). My lab was pretty angry with me and wouldn't even look at me the first 24hours we were in the hotel but my Yorkie and the cats, they stayed with friends, were all fine. A little scared and confused since we moved and they were with other people but they did great.

    I think I was more upset and worried than they were, to be honest, except my lab was pretty pissed about being in a crate since he's 10years old and was never crated with us.
    On the day that she flies here, I'm going to be a nervous wreck. She is suppose to fly out here about two days before DH leaves for a 45 day field op. I'm hoping that the plan holds up and she is here before he leaves because I'll need DH to keep me calm. If not, I might need MSOS to help keep my mind occupied that day. She is only 3 years old and she's well behaved. I think she will be ok once she gets to my house, sees me and settles in. I'm sure she'll hate me for a day or two.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    I have no experience flying cats but when we drove to Jacksonville from Oklahoma our cats were confined for close to ten hours in the car. Sure they were pissed but they are strictly indoor so being outside of their "comfort zone" made them turn into little statues and they didn't make a peep or move for that matter the entire time. Even when we got out to walk the dogs and stretch our legs. One of us would stay in the car with them while the other was out and I guess all the new smells and sights was to much for them to even act curious. If it was my cat I would do it, they especially are resilient and as long as she has ample time to potty before hand she should be ok (we also took their water away a few hours before we got on the road so they hopefully wouldn't have to be stuck with a full bladder)
    I really wish that my cat could fly in cabin or that we were on the mainland so my dad could just drive her to me but oh well. She is a tough kitty. I think she will be ok. My mom's worrying is making me even more nervous than I already am, if that makes sense.


  6. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,321
    Blog Entries
    2
    #6
    Under the plane in August? It could get very hot under there.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    CPANavyWife's Avatar
    CPANavyWife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,476
    #7
    You may need to check with the airlines specifically. I know many airlines will not fly pets between July-Sept
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  8. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Katiebeth86's Avatar
    Katiebeth86 is offline
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The one & only Jersey
    Posts
    4,827

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Under the plane in August? It could get very hot under there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    You may need to check with the airlines specifically. I know many airlines will not fly pets between July-Sept


    That was one of my other concerns. I'm going to call a few airlines tomorrow and see what their policies are. Thanks for reminding me about that.


  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    DakotaCowgirl's Avatar
    DakotaCowgirl is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Home is where our feet land
    Posts
    12,453
    #9
    To see how she would do, take her for drives. I'm talking like every few days go out for an hour or so.

    Our cats travel really well. They like to travel. The first hour or so, they cry, whine, and shed. We had each in their own kennel, with a pee pad, and a towel to for them to snuggle with. When we got to our hotel, we put them in a pop up kennel that was big enough for a litter box, food and water so they had their own space to just defuse.

    That was from Baltimore to Ramstein though. They had to go cargo too.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Katiebeth86's Avatar
    Katiebeth86 is offline
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The one & only Jersey
    Posts
    4,827

    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    To see how she would do, take her for drives. I'm talking like every few days go out for an hour or so.

    Our cats travel really well. They like to travel. The first hour or so, they cry, whine, and shed. We had each in their own kennel, with a pee pad, and a towel to for them to snuggle with. When we got to our hotel, we put them in a pop up kennel that was big enough for a litter box, food and water so they had their own space to just defuse.

    That was from Baltimore to Ramstein though. They had to go cargo too.
    I'll try to see if my mom or dad will take her for drives. She is in NJ while I'm here in Hawaii already. I felt that it would be better for her to wait out the quaratine period with my parents in a familiar place with familiar people instead of being locked up in a small cage for 120 days. When I have taken her to the vet in the past, she has no problems going into the carrier. She would meow a lot while walking to the car but the few times she has been outside it was freezing cold and very loud traffic noise. Once we get settled into the car, she would burrow in the blankets and sit quietly. She would meow every so often but eventually fell asleep. I had to take her to a vet an hour away so she could get the bloodwork done for Hawaii.

    I'm just nervous about her flying on a 10 hour flight as cargo. I know other pet owns have been in the same situation and their pets have been fine. I can't help but worry. We all worry about our furbabies.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •