Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adopting vs Breeder

1. Senior Member

Adopting vs Breeder

Advertisements
    DB and I are discussing getting a dog (nothing set in stone yet) and if we do, I really want to adopt a pup from a shelter. DB seems to be leaning more towards buying one from a breeder (and 3 breeds that i dont want ). So basically I'm wondering, what are the pros and cons of each? Where is your dog from and what breed is it? You can throw in some pros and cons of the breed too!
  2. Miss Suit&Tie
    Miss Suit&Tie

i wanted to adopt so bad but my mom had final say and ended up going with a breeder. In the end i guess it didn't matter so much because I can't imagine life without my baby Mei Mei
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

One big pro if you buy from a reputable breeder is that you should get a health guarantee. Anyone worth their salt will be testing their stock for heritable diseases/disorders, so that's a lot of peace of mind right there. Especially if you are interested in breeds that are prone to genetic problems. Also a reputable breeder will always take a dog back no matter the reason, so you never have to worry about rehoming should the worst happen.

(The bolding isn't meant at a dig at your DH, just meant to emphasize the difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB).
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Honestly, I have no idea of how to tell if a breeder is reputable. I'm glad you asked this because I hope someone can outline it. DH & I are not in a position to get a dog now but maybe someday we will.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    One big pro if you buy from a reputable breeder is that you should get a health guarantee. Anyone worth their salt will be testing their stock for heritable diseases/disorders, so that's a lot of peace of mind right there. Especially if you are interested in breeds that are prone to genetic problems. Also a reputable breeder will always take a dog back no matter the reason, so you never have to worry about rehoming should the worst happen.

(The bolding isn't meant at a dig at your DH, just meant to emphasize the difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB).
    dont worry i didnt take it as a dig! i know that IF we go through a breeder, i absolutely want a reputable one.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea of how to tell if a breeder is reputable. I'm glad you asked this because I hope someone can outline it. DH & I are not in a position to get a dog now but maybe someday we will.
    i'm wondering this too. i'm not sure how to tell if the breeder is reputable or not
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I can't justify, for myself, supporting the idea or practice of breeding animals for profit when far, far too many animals are killed every day because they don't have a home.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

After going through what we did with a breeder with oden I dont think we could ever go through a breeder again. When we got him he had geardia and hereditary mange, he was very very sick and cost us $800 the first night we got him because we had to take him to the puppy ER. The lady disapeared on us and never gave us his papers or anything..We paid $700 and expected non of this to happen..We could have taken legal action but that would have meant giving Oden away and we couldnt...that was our first puppy together..I also wanted to add in the two years weve had him we've spent $3,000+ on his vet bills, but obviously we will do anything to get him better. what im trying to say is you just never know what will happend

We got thor from the shelter and its been such a great experience. he is seriously such an amazing dog and I love the shit out of him. we saved him, I couldnt imagine what would have happened to him if he stayed there. Adopting a pet is just good all around I think and its rewarding
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I can't justify, for myself, supporting the idea or practice of breeding animals for profit when far, far too many animals are killed every day because they don't have a home.
    thats the main reason id love to adopt. i would love to give a loving home to a poor little puppy in a shelter
  9. verabot89
    verabot89
    I would never, ever buy a dog from a breeder.

I adopted my dog from a rescue in TX. She is a mutt, and she's cute as hell. And it was heartbreaking trying to choose, knowing I could only take one home. So many dogs need homes, you're saving a life if you adopt. There really are no cons either. They are cheaper, the money you pay is supporting a good cause/not going into someone's pocket, and your dog comes vetted, neutered, dewormed, vaccinated, with a rather thorough evaluation/description, and in many cases good follow up support.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I bet Vino or someone can do a better job than me for reputable breeders but here is what I would look for...

Health testing on all breeding stock
    Spay/neuter contract for pet quality animals
    Guarantee of health (not the shitty "we guarantee it'll be healthy for five days" kind either)
    Proving stock is worthy of breeding (either in show ring or in the field)
    Provides references
    Willing to take back dog at any time, no questions asked

Red flags for BYB!
    Has multiple breeds of animals for sale
    "Teacup" anything, or other non-standard varieties
    breeding mutts (designer dogs, labradoodles/goldendoodles/etc.)
    "Oops" litters/wanting to show their kids the miracle of life/"but he's so pretty he had to be bred!" and other such BS
    breeding multiple litters at one time

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head ...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast