Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with huskies? Or puppy training?

1. Regular Member

Any experience with huskies? Or puppy training?

Advertisements
    We're getting a Siberian Husky puppy! She'll be 8 weeks when we get her. A sweet little silver and white puppy with a perfect little clover on her forehead. We've named her Sorin (It's a male name, we know, but we thought it fit alright)
    We've done a lot of research on the breed, and we're experienced dog owners. We know that huskies can be a little tricky, but we think we're ready. That being said, we could always use more advice! Do any of you have experience with huskies, or just have some puppy training tricks you've picked up? Thanks!
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We use the Nothing In Life Is Free method and it works really well!

Do you have any pics of the your puppums? I wanna see!
  3. Regular Member
    Nothing in Life is Free makes quite a bit of sense. Haha.
    Confession: I've never posted pictures on here before, let's see how this goes..

These are the pictures from the breeder (we usually adopt from shelters, but we've got some old-ish pets right now and were afraid of bringing in something they could catch... woops). I got to meet and hold her after her six week checkup, and she was soooo sweet and cuddly. Her coloring is a little lighter than in the pictures, but it's close. I'll be on my research trip for the summer when my parents get to pick her up (I'm a student, don't have my own life yet haha. We= the parents and I). So hopefully when I get back, I'll get some more pics up of her adorable little fluffy self.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

OMG you're right she totally has a clover!! That is just too cute.
  5. Moderator

It's like a little Fleur de Lis right on her precious forehead!!

So sweet!
  6. Regular Member
    Those pictures literally make me squee like a little girl.
  7. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    She is ADORABLE!!!!

I haven't trained a husky, but I do have husky experience. My ex owns a husky and I was blessed to take care of him for an entire month while he was away at training. Plus, I took care of him a lot during weekends and just the time exDB and I were together in general. I LOVE huskies. You're very lucky to be getting such a sweetie.
  8. Regular Member
    Shucks, I'm going to pretend I can take credit for her cuteness and say thanks everyone! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    She is ADORABLE!!!!

I haven't trained a husky, but I do have husky experience. My ex owns a husky and I was blessed to take care of him for an entire month while he was away at training. Plus, I took care of him a lot during weekends and just the time exDB and I were together in general. I LOVE huskies. You're very lucky to be getting such a sweetie.
    Do you remember what you did for exercise? Were walks enough? Haha. I've thought about getting one of those doggie back-packs for her (when she's old enough, of course). Wear her out, let her feel like she's the working breed that she is, etc, but in half the time. I know we'll have to work up anyway, but I just want to make sure she's as active as she needs to be!
  9. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Huskies are awesome dogs. just make sure that your neighbors don't mind noise and that you have time for plenty of exercise. Invest in mentally stimulating toys (a local pet store would carry them, things like Kong toys are awesome). Good luck! Puppies are tons of fun. Keep us updated with pictures! Shes gorgeous.

Edit.. Also, I dont know what area of the country you are in, but if it gets hot there in the summer, be sure she has plenty of time indoors. And huskies LOVE to run. If youre a runner, you and her will get along well. Walks arent always enough. But two runs a day usually keeps them pretty happy.
    Last edited by Phoenixx.; 06-07-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: wanted to add

10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VitaDulcedoSpes View Post
    Shucks, I'm going to pretend I can take credit for her cuteness and say thanks everyone! Haha.

Do you remember what you did for exercise? Were walks enough? Haha. I've thought about getting one of those doggie back-packs for her (when she's old enough, of course). Wear her out, let her feel like she's the working breed that she is, etc, but in half the time. I know we'll have to work up anyway, but I just want to make sure she's as active as she needs to be!
    We have to take Arkady to the dog park A LOT. Huskies have tons of energy and love to run. They also love to play. I would take him to the dog park every other day (although I think exDB takes him less, but his schedule is tight) but at least 2 good walks a day can usually wear 'em out. You say you have other dogs though? That will certainly help. Just stick them in the back yard and they can play with each other. At least with Arkady, having other dogs to play with is very important. If he didn't have other dogs to play with, then playing with humans is the next best thing. Not much for lying around and cuddling. Well, yes, cuddling, but only when tired or just not having anything else to do.

Lots of stimulation and you should be good! I think having other dogs around will be a big help.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast