Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Issues with cat using the bathroom..

1. I love AOII!
    I love AOII!

Issues with cat using the bathroom..

Advertisements
    I have 2 wonderful furbabies (cats)! The girl cat, Bella, i've had since she was 2 months old. I've had some bathroom issues with her off and on. I clean the litter boxes all the time ! At least every day, if not every other. I have 2 litter boxes out so if she doesn't like one she can use the other. But she has been using the bathroom right next to the litter box or in the corner near it. I clean it up, spray it with special stuff so it doesn't keep smelling etc. I don't think it's the litter because she uses it when it's completely fresh/cleaned (as in dumping out all the old litter and putting all new fresh litter in). I just don't know what else to do! I need to take her and my other cat in to the doctors soon for their annual check up so I'm going to ask the vet then, But any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Taking her to your vet is the best thing to do. You need to rule out medical issues first and then you can try other things. How long has she not been using the litter box?
  3. Regular Member
    Ooh that's such a toughie. She might just be a princess? These are the times when one wishes that Caesar Millan had a distant cousin called "The Cat Whisperer."

Animal behaviour can be really confusing. Do you clean the litter often? If she's that picky, perhaps ensure one is picked out every day so to encourage her to use it? (if you're like me, it gets done every 2 days or so!)
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Does she have her own box or does she share it with the other cat?

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. I love AOII!
    I love AOII!
    There are 2 litter boxes, and they both just use whichever one they feel like. I clean it at least every other day if not every day! She uses/not uses it intermittently. Like sometimes it will be weeks and it will be fine, and then sometimes she does it more than once a week!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    If the vet rules out any medical issues, she may just be a diva. My MIL and I were talking yesterday, and she said that the cat she had growing up refused to use the litter box if anything was in it. So every time she went to the bathroom, someone had to go in and scoop it. You may end up having to do something like that.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have been experiencing this for the past 3yrs off and on. However, on occasion, her urine has blood in it. From light pink to full-on red. I have been to the vet several times to test for infections, ulcers, injuries, stones... everything under the sun. She has never even hinted at any kind of medical problem. FLUTD? I think they call it. I've shared my plight on here before and Vino shared some tips. While I have tried (seemingly) everything (with the exception to giving her a pill every day for the rest of her life that I was advised likely wouldn't do much anyway), it continues. Its a giant pain in my ass and I feel hopeless and frustrated because she continues to do it despite not having a reason for it or a way to cut it out. I try to keep her active, make sure there is plenty of fresh water available, premium dry food, wet food 4-5 days a week, and a clean litter box. Sometimes its a 2-3 weeks between 'episodes'... but usually I'm dealing with it at least 3-4 days a week.

I live with it because I love her and she is worth it... but it sucks constantly smelling cat urine places where it ought not be

I know this isn't a solution response... although I hope you are lucky to have a healthy cat, I hope more that you are able to help your cat with this problem.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It's great that you have two boxes, but where are each of the boxes located in relation to the setup of your home and the other box? Often times something as simple as the location of the boxes can contribute to elimination issues.
  9. I love AOII!
    I love AOII!
    One box is in my living room, the other box is in my office. It's not near their food or anything.