Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Losing my mind.

  1. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #1

    Losing my mind.

    Advertisements
    I am a confused, irritated, heartbroken mama.
    Remmy is just about a year and a half now, and within the past 2 months-ish, he has completely regressed to being a puppy. He's still fine on all of his training and stuff—it's just behavioral. If I stop paying attention to him for one minute he whines and cries and barks and paws me. If I ignore him, he goes off and does things he knows he's not supposed to, like pulling all the sheets off our bed or carrying around our shoes. He barks his head off every time there is ANY noise he doesn't recognize, he's totally skittish about EVERYTHING, just like he was when he was a baby. On and on. I'm literally back on the schedule I had when he was a baby—20 minutes of playing, 20 minutes of me doing what I want (in which he follows me and whines or sits next to me and whines), 20 minutes of outside running around.
    Even now, as I type this sitting on the patio, after we played 15 minutes of fetch, he has the whole yard and eight million toys and he's standing here whining. Inside, if I give him a bone, he'll hold in in his mouth and whine at me.
    I know this all points to BORED BORED BORED, but there's just no way that's so. We go to the dog park about every other day, and even after him running himself completely ragged for like two hours, we come home and he lays with his head in my lap because he's so tired and whines or gnaws on my fingers lightly like he did when he was a baby. We run three miles every day on top of the park, and play fetch a TON so he can run as fast as he can. If I give him things to play with inside, he has no interest in two minutes aside from dropping it in my lap and whining.
    I don't know what he needs and it's seriously breaking my heart
    He was at the vet just a few weeks ago and he's fine. We haven't switched his food or anything and nothing drastic has happened as far as changes in our life or anything. My trainer was saying it could just be that he's realized that he can get me to play with him WHENEVER, but when I try ignoring him or snuggling him and calming him down, it just gets a million times worse.
    I AM SO SAD.
    He's still the best baby in the world! And he'll snuggle me at night and in the morning like usual, and listen to me like a good boy, and everything. I love him more than anything and I don't let myself get upset with him, even when I have a migraine and he's throat stomping me because I won't get up. But something's gotta give.

    Sorry for the novel.... anyone have any thoughts?
  2. Account Closed
    br33's Avatar
    br33 is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,853
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    I am a confused, irritated, heartbroken mama.
    Remmy is just about a year and a half now, and within the past 2 months-ish, he has completely regressed to being a puppy. He's still fine on all of his training and stuff—it's just behavioral. If I stop paying attention to him for one minute he whines and cries and barks and paws me. If I ignore him, he goes off and does things he knows he's not supposed to, like pulling all the sheets off our bed or carrying around our shoes. He barks his head off every time there is ANY noise he doesn't recognize, he's totally skittish about EVERYTHING, just like he was when he was a baby. On and on. I'm literally back on the schedule I had when he was a baby—20 minutes of playing, 20 minutes of me doing what I want (in which he follows me and whines or sits next to me and whines), 20 minutes of outside running around.
    Even now, as I type this sitting on the patio, after we played 15 minutes of fetch, he has the whole yard and eight million toys and he's standing here whining. Inside, if I give him a bone, he'll hold in in his mouth and whine at me.
    I know this all points to BORED BORED BORED, but there's just no way that's so. We go to the dog park about every other day, and even after him running himself completely ragged for like two hours, we come home and he lays with his head in my lap because he's so tired and whines or gnaws on my fingers lightly like he did when he was a baby. We run three miles every day on top of the park, and play fetch a TON so he can run as fast as he can. If I give him things to play with inside, he has no interest in two minutes aside from dropping it in my lap and whining.
    I don't know what he needs and it's seriously breaking my heart
    He was at the vet just a few weeks ago and he's fine. We haven't switched his food or anything and nothing drastic has happened as far as changes in our life or anything. My trainer was saying it could just be that he's realized that he can get me to play with him WHENEVER, but when I try ignoring him or snuggling him and calming him down, it just gets a million times worse.
    I AM SO SAD.
    He's still the best baby in the world! And he'll snuggle me at night and in the morning like usual, and listen to me like a good boy, and everything. I love him more than anything and I don't let myself get upset with him, even when I have a migraine and he's throat stomping me because I won't get up. But something's gotta give.

    Sorry for the novel.... anyone have any thoughts?
    That's exactly what I was thinking before I got to that point in your post!

    Sounds like he's just smart enough to realize that if he bugs you enough, you can be his play-buddy 24/7... I've only ever trained big-lazy type dogs, so I'm kind of at a loss for higher energy types. My best guess would be to find a way to force him to self-entertain. Baby-gate him away from you/outside when its your turn to accomplish something? He will whine, he will bark, he will throw a fit, but be stern. Just like crate-training a pup, its a temporary state of hell for both of you until you can curb the constant attention-seeking behaviour.

    There may be better solutions - hopefully someone with experience with high-energy breeds can chime in. My dog usually leaves the room to get away from me He would sleep 23hrs out of the day if I let him!

    ETA

    I completely understand the tried-it-all, past the point of sanity, helplessness feeling with animals. Don't think you aren't doing enough! Remmy sounds so blessed to have you as his two-legged momma!
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #3
    Maybe you should get another dog? You sound like a goddamn impressive dog owner already, so maybe two would be better. He'd have someone ELSE to throat stomp.
  4. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking before I got to that point in your post!

    Sounds like he's just smart enough to realize that if he bugs you enough, you can be his play-buddy 24/7... I've only ever trained big-lazy type dogs, so I'm kind of at a loss for higher energy types. My best guess would be to find a way to force him to self-entertain. Baby-gate him away from you/outside when its your turn to accomplish something? He will whine, he will bark, he will throw a fit, but be stern. Just like crate-training a pup, its a temporary state of hell for both of you until you can curb the constant attention-seeking behaviour.

    There may be better solutions - hopefully someone with experience with high-energy breeds can chime in. My dog usually leaves the room to get away from me He would sleep 23hrs out of the day if I let him!

    ETA

    I completely understand the tried-it-all, past the point of sanity, helplessness feeling with animals. Don't think you aren't doing enough! Remmy sounds so blessed to have you as his two-legged momma!
    Thank you for the hugs! I know at least part of this is the fact that I am a complete pushover when it comes to him
    Baby gating is a great idea, I don't know why that hadn't crossed my mind. I've been considering crating but that just seems to be a) mean since he knows that's for when I'm gone and b) TOTALLY counterproductive. He won't actually wreck anything, so letting him have a "playroom" without me in it sounds brilliant!

    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    Maybe you should get another dog? You sound like a goddamn impressive dog owner already, so maybe two would be better. He'd have someone ELSE to throat stomp.
    That's what my husband keeps saying I know in my mind that that would totally solve everything and Remmy would be really happy... but I can't convince myself that I'm ready for 24/7 PLAYTIME ALL THE TIME. Haha.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kings Bay, GA
    Posts
    6,535

    #5
    Honestly, it sounds like he needs a fur-brother or sister. I can understand not wanting another rig, though, but I think it would solve a lot of your problems.
  6. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #6
    They actually end up keeping each other entertained. Plus, it's easier to throw them both outside and do your thang.
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    They actually end up keeping each other entertained. Plus, it's easier to throw them both outside and do your thang.
    Yeah, no, that's what I'm afraid of We watch a friend's dog every now and then, and they DO NOT STOP. Like, have to literally be dragged apart and closed in separate rooms if you want them to stop torpedoing the house at top speed.

    And TBH... this is reallllly selfish, but I like having one dog because I would die of sadness if we got another and they occupied each other so much that they didn't need me. I know I'm a really emotional type dog owner, rather than the people who are just like "yo dog go be a dog", but I have a dog because I want a constant (almost, anyway) companion, kwim?
    And I know that is ABSURD because I shouldn't be complaining about him needing attention all the time if I'm saying that I want him to need me, but... is it too much to hope for a happy medium? Haha.
  8. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    Yeah, no, that's what I'm afraid of We watch a friend's dog every now and then, and they DO NOT STOP. Like, have to literally be dragged apart and closed in separate rooms if you want them to stop torpedoing the house at top speed.

    And TBH... this is reallllly selfish, but I like having one dog because I would die of sadness if we got another and they occupied each other so much that they didn't need me. I know I'm a really emotional type dog owner, rather than the people who are just like "yo dog go be a dog", but I have a dog because I want a constant (almost, anyway) companion, kwim?
    And I know that is ABSURD because I shouldn't be complaining about him needing attention all the time if I'm saying that I want him to need me, but... is it too much to hope for a happy medium? Haha.
    Get him a cat! They can play together sometimes but when the cat wants to do cat things and tells him to fuck off, he'll still come to you for play and loves.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Get him a cat! They can play together sometimes but when the cat wants to do cat things and tells him to fuck off, he'll still come to you for play and loves.
    omg that's actually a rad idea.
  10. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    Yeah, no, that's what I'm afraid of We watch a friend's dog every now and then, and they DO NOT STOP. Like, have to literally be dragged apart and closed in separate rooms if you want them to stop torpedoing the house at top speed.

    And TBH... this is reallllly selfish, but I like having one dog because I would die of sadness if we got another and they occupied each other so much that they didn't need me. I know I'm a really emotional type dog owner, rather than the people who are just like "yo dog go be a dog", but I have a dog because I want a constant (almost, anyway) companion, kwim?
    And I know that is ABSURD because I shouldn't be complaining about him needing attention all the time if I'm saying that I want him to need me, but... is it too much to hope for a happy medium? Haha.
    I totally get this sentiment, cause that's what I was afraid of with a second dog. Honestly though, my first dog and I are so bonded that it wasn't an issue at all. He still looks to me to cuddle, to referee (his brother, though still a puppy, is bigger than he is and can take his toys) and will stop what he's doing if I call his name. The two of them play all the damn time (and always RIGHT when I sit down to watch TV) but it hasn't interfered with my relationship with my first dog (or the new one either--he thinks he's a cuddler, even though he is a GSD/border collie mix).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •