Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Re-Teaching Leash Potty Time?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Re-Teaching Leash Potty Time?

Advertisements
    So we're moving in 8 days () onto base. The base houses here don't have fenced in yards, only fenced front porches but not even a speck of grass within the fence. My dogs, from the time we brought Julia home as a tiny puppy and Charlie when we adopted him (so 4 years), have always had a fenced in yard where we trained them to ring the bells on the sliding door when they needed to go out. They're now 4 (yorkie) and 10+ (lab mutt).

This is my biggest anxiety over moving onto base, aside from just the getting our stuff from one house to the other. I've got Wyatt and I'm pregnant and only getting bigger and these dogs have never been expected to walk and do their business in a timely manner. With milder weather, it wouldn't be such an issue but it's 90*+ with terrible humidity so I really don't want to go on multiple long walks, short ones standing in the yard are much more do-able.

So any tips on how to expedite this process would be awesome! I can't even remember the last time they went for a real walk because the house we're in now is on a busy mountain with no sidewalks so not a walking area.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I read this title and thought it was about your child.....I was like "leash potty time?!"

We have a big yard so my dogs are used to free reign but last week on our road trip, they both adapted very easily to leash potty time. I don't really have any tips or tricks...when we lived in other places with our little dog, she would find one area, either grass or dirt or rock, and that was her favorite place to go, so if I tried to just step out the door and have her go, she'd take FOREVER, but as soon as I went to her "favorite spot" she'd go. I know that's not super helpful, but maybe just try to pay attention to where they have the easiest time going.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I read this title and thought it was about your child.....I was like "leash potty time?!"

We have a big yard so my dogs are used to free reign but last week on our road trip, they both adapted very easily to leash potty time. I don't really have any tips or tricks...when we lived in other places with our little dog, she would find one area, either grass or dirt or rock, and that was her favorite place to go, so if I tried to just step out the door and have her go, she'd take FOREVER, but as soon as I went to her "favorite spot" she'd go. I know that's not super helpful, but maybe just try to pay attention to where they have the easiest time going.
    Nope, Wyatt actually sits on the toilet!

I figured it was going to be trial and error but it's been so long since ever having to leash-walk a dog for the bathroom purpose that I cannot really remember how to teach them.
  4. Senior Member
    tank normally goes in our backyard and just moseys around until he has to go, but i think thats mostly because he LOVES being outside. when we go on walks (we try to go nightly) he does his business in the first 50 feet of our walk. it never fails. its like hes so excited to go on a walk he expels his bowels at warp speed so he can get to the good stuff (sniffing everything!)
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

5. Senior Member

The thing that gets to many dogs is being connected to the leash while trying to do their business.

For the next 2-ish days, when you let them out to go potty, clip a leash on them and let them drag it (supervise from a distance so they don't get caught on anything); tell them "get busy" (or whatever) when you let them out. After a couple days of that, try it holding the other end of the leash. Give them about 5 minutes before bringing them back inside and trying again in a little bit.

6. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    I would work with them using what they prefer as a reward. We lived in an apartment when we first got Lex and he was leash potty-trained, then we moved to a house and he learned to potty on his own for 5 years and now we are back in an apartment. His fav reward is his tennis ball, although he was a breeze retraining. The puppy who only knew our house was a bit more difficult. She is highly food motivated so I would just walk her when I knew she had to potty and repeat the word until she did it and then rewarded her with some kibble. It has worked out for us!