Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Litter box training for an older dog?

1. Senior Member

Litter box training for an older dog?

Advertisements
    Ok, she's not old, but my almost two year old doxie who was a pain in the ass to house break in the first place is having major potty regression since DH left. She's not crated, never has been. She has started going on the floor when I'm not home. She no longer signals that she has to go, and nine times out of ten will refuse to go outside then go on the floor when we come in. With the baby I can't bring her in and out ten times until she goes. So I've been thinking about a litter box for her. My old dog was box trained but I did that with her initially. Has anyone box trained a dog that was previously trained to go outside?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm sure it can be done. My mom taught our senile cat to pee on the toilet But it sounds like your dog is a stubborn, pain in the ass dog (I have one, too, but luckily he's still with my parents for now) and probably wouldn't train to do that, either. It sounds more like she likes having the power to poop where she wants. Would getting a chain or run to put her outside and make her be out there until she goes be an option?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I'm sure it can be done. My mom taught our senile cat to pee on the toilet But it sounds like your dog is a stubborn, pain in the ass dog (I have one, too, but luckily he's still with my parents for now) and probably wouldn't train to do that, either. It sounds more like she likes having the power to poop where she wants. Would getting a chain or run to put her outside and make her be out there until she goes be an option?
    She is such a pain in the ass! when i leave her outside she just gets so worked up. She can't handle being outside alone at all!

I should add, she's been vetted and is perfectly healthy. She isn't showing any other separation anxiety type symptoms. She doesn't chew or destroy anything when I'm gone, she's pretty calm when I get home. It's just a constant power struggle with her and her elimination
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    She is such a pain in the ass! when i leave her outside she just gets so worked up. She can't handle being outside alone at all!

I should add, she's been vetted and is perfectly healthy. She isn't showing any other separation anxiety type symptoms. She doesn't chew or destroy anything when I'm gone, she's pretty calm when I get home. It's just a constant power struggle with her and her elimination
    Maybe out her in a diaper I dog sat for a friend last summer and she had told me that her puppy was potty trained. Not so much. Dog drove me insane and I finally started putting her in diapers when she was in the house and then she would get out of a diaper and go right outside. I actually got a cheap pack of baby diapers and cut a tail hole in it My aunt taught me that when she came for our wedding and stayed with my PITA dog and he was peeing on everything so she made a diaper for him
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Maybe out her in a diaper I dog sat for a friend last summer and she had told me that her puppy was potty trained. Not so much. Dog drove me insane and I finally started putting her in diapers when she was in the house and then she would get out of a diaper and go right outside. I actually got a cheap pack of baby diapers and cut a tail hole in it My aunt taught me that when she came for our wedding and stayed with my PITA dog and he was peeing on everything so she made a diaper for him
    I have cloth diapers for her for when she's in heat and she haaates them! I have to tape them on. I've never seen a more miserable dog face than the time she pooped in her diaper
  6. Senior Member
    I know that they make stones that you place near where you want them to go to the bathroom and the scent encourages them to go. I'm assuming by litter box you mean pee pads? You could buy those stones and put it by the corner you keep the pee pads.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    I know that they make stones that you place near where you want them to go to the bathroom and the scent encourages them to go. I'm assuming by litter box you mean pee pads? You could buy those stones and put it by the corner you keep the pee pads.
    No, i mean an actual litter box They have a different kind of litter for dogs, I used to get it at pet smart. I know it sounds weird i don't want to just use pads because the baby will be crawling soon and I don't want him to get into them. I'll look into the stones, though, thanks!