Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best dog to get?

1. Regular Member

What is the best dog to get?

Advertisements
    My DH and me have to wait to get a dog until we get our own house so I figure I'd go ahead and start looking at different kinds of breeds. Any opinions on the best dog to get for first time pet owners? Also, I want a dog that is good around kids because that'll be the next big step in our lives.
  2. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Small to medium sized dogs are always more convenient, especially when the military moves you around. Spaniels (cocker, springer, brittany) have amazing personalities, though they will usually need regular exercise and may be prone to ear problems like yeast infections.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. Senior Member

Golden retrievers tend to be super easy, great family dogs.

If you are able, please consider a rescue rather than buying from a breeder. There are breed specific rescues. And if you do decide to buy, please makesure its from a reputable breeder not a backyard breeder or puppy mill.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Golden retrievers tend to be super easy, great family dogs.

If you are able, please consider a rescue rather than buying from a breeder. There are breed specific rescues. And if you do decide to buy, please makesure its from a reputable breeder not a backyard breeder or puppy mill.
    Very true. I ran across a website the other day about dogs who were fixing to be euthanized because no one adopted them. After talking with my DH we decided we would most likely adopt because if we can save a life, we mind as well do that. But we will still consider breeds too. Thanks for your opinion!
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoAskAlice View Post
    Small to medium sized dogs are always more convenient, especially when the military moves you around. Spaniels (cocker, springer, brittany) have amazing personalities, though they will usually need regular exercise and may be prone to ear problems like yeast infections.
    I LOVE spaniels. I had a cocker spaniel while I was growing up and my mom has a springer spaniel now. Those are definitely dogs to consider! FULL of energy lol
  6. Senior Member

It really all depends on family. My DH and I have 2 Min Pins and we LOVE them but you will find many people who do not like Min Pins. For us we would not want a Golden because it wouldnt fit for our family. You really just have to look into the different breeds and see what fits for you.

Or just go to a rescue and talk to the people that work there and tell them what you are looking for and they can probably steer you in the right direction.

Also take into consideration breed restrictions for the military and travel, some pets are easier to travel with and some are more difficult.
  7. Senior Member
    Labs! My lab is the best dog I've ever had. Well behaved, friendly, loves people, and lets kids walk over him He was easy to train and a lot of fun.

I'm also partial to German Shepards but that's because I have one. She's incredibly smart but SUPER high energy. She's also a really great guard dog but you have to be careful and socialize them early and often.

If you don't want big dogs, I'd suggest a Brittany. They don't get very big and they're good dogs.

8. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisies777 View Post
    I LOVE spaniels. I had a cocker spaniel while I was growing up and my mom has a springer spaniel now. Those are definitely dogs to consider! FULL of energy lol
    You can usually tell, at least even a little bit, if a dog has some spaniel in him. If you guys adopt, mutts are good anyways because they tend to have less health problems than pure breds. We have a golden retriever who is the most amazing little creature ever, seriously, but he's so sensitive to everything.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pftube View Post
    Labs! My lab is the best dog I've ever had. Well behaved, friendly, loves people, and lets kids walk over him He was easy to train and a lot of fun.

I'm also partial to German Shepards but that's because I have one. She's incredibly smart but SUPER high energy. She's also a really great guard dog but you have to be careful and socialize them early and often.

If you don't want big dogs, I'd suggest a Brittany. They don't get very big and they're good dogs.
    That's the kind of dogs my husband loves!! He grew up with labs. I'll have to google brittany dogs because I've never heard of them lol
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    It really all depends on family. My DH and I have 2 Min Pins and we LOVE them but you will find many people who do not like Min Pins. For us we would not want a Golden because it wouldnt fit for our family. You really just have to look into the different breeds and see what fits for you.

Or just go to a rescue and talk to the people that work there and tell them what you are looking for and they can probably steer you in the right direction.

Also take into consideration breed restrictions for the military and travel, some pets are easier to travel with and some are more difficult.
    That's a very good point. We aren't seeing any relocation in our future but you just never know with the military lol.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast