Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Thunder

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thunder

Advertisements
    What do you do to keep your dog (or other pets) calm when it's thundering?

My dog flips out. Shaking, ears up, panting really heavy. I've tried holding her, not holding her, petting her, covering her up, not covering her up, talking nicely to her, talking annoyed to her ( I knew that wouldn't work, but she gets so worked up it gets frustrating!), wrapping her up (because the theory behind the thunder shirts of gentle pressure).

I was thinking about feeding her treats but 1, she's so freaked out I don't think she'd eat them, and 2, I don't want to inadvertently reinforce her flipping out by giving her treats when she's doing it.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    A friend of mine got her dog a Thundershirt. It was amazing the instant difference it made. Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i used to always sit on the floor with my golden and like look out the door at the lightening and petted him soothingly and he calmed down....

remember they read your feelings so if your scared or acting scared they are going to too.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    A friend of mine got her dog a Thundershirt. It was amazing the instant difference it made. Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment
    They're just super expensive, lol. And wrapping her up and holding her doesn't help so it makes me suspicious if that would...

I did read you can wrap them in an ace bandage and get the same effect, so I might try that, if I ever remember to buy one >.< lol
  5. Senior Member
    Thundershirt does have a 45 day money back guarantee, so if it turn out it doesn't work, at least you won't be out any money.
  6. Senior Member
    Honestly I let her do what she needs to do to feel more safe. Usually that means she sleeps under a side table until the thunder is over because under the side tables are where she goes anytime she needs to feel safe like another dog would with a crate. We also will wrap her up in a blanket and let her sit close to us if that's what she signals she needs.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysgal View Post
    Honestly I let her do what she needs to do to feel more safe. Usually that means she sleeps under a side table until the thunder is over because under the side tables are where she goes anytime she needs to feel safe like another dog would with a crate. We also will wrap her up in a blanket and let her sit close to us if that's what she signals she needs.

She seems like she wants to sit on my face not gonna happen!

She just gets so worked up and doesn't seem to do anything to calm herself down. I worry she'll hurt herself just because she gets so... She like hyperventilates.
  8. Senior Member
    My dog goes and hides in the bathroom lol, he's an odd one
  9. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

You could speak with your veterinarian about a small (or stronger, if needed) sedative. At the shelter, we had a dog that got so worked up during storms he would hurt himself, so we had to give him Acepromazine (which is really strong) and it would basically knock him out til it was over.

10. Free!
    Free!
    We create a cave in a room (shut all shades keep the room dark) and play a loud show or music. they'll both freak out but will at least have a place to go. For Callie, since she's a herding dog, she gets more worried if she can't find everyone and will frantically search until everyone is "ok" then go hide.