Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Should I take my dog in?

  1. Senior Member
    Sooner*twin's Avatar
    Sooner*twin is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pensacola NAS
    Posts
    2,369
    #1

    Should I take my dog in?

    Advertisements
    This morning, I was sleeping and DH was working in the front yard. Our jack russell was in the backyard playing and had jumped onto the raft in our pool. I guess he popped it and DH found him swimming in the deep end of the pool. No telling how long he had been in there, but DH pulled him out and he was fine. He ran around and played for a couple more minutes and then threw up 3 times in a row (clear, somewhat foamy). Since then, I brought him inside, cleaned him up, dried him off and he's playing and acting his normal self. I haven't let him go outside, because I don't want him exerting much energy right now.

    He's drank regular water since then, wanting to play, etc. Not showing any signs of respiratory distress, gums are pink, etc. I just worry because we have a chlorine pool, and I know chlorine is pretty much poison. He probably threw up what he ingested, but I also worry about aspirating and pneumonia. I don't think he was ever submerged, but he obviously swallowed some water.

    My question is, if he's acting fine, should I still take him to the vet? I hate to put him through more unnecessary stress right now if he's fine. Has this ever happened to any one's dog??

    TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    CC22's Avatar
    CC22 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Together in the Hood!
    Posts
    2,119
    Blog Entries
    22
    #2
    If it were my dog I would say just watch him, if he continues to throw up, has diarrhea, starts acting weird, then, yeah, take him in. If he's acting normal, I would just try to keep him calm, you don't know how long he was swimming for so he could've worn himself out.

    If you really think about it... How much chlorine do you think you've swallowed? And lots of drinking water has chlorine in it.

    Unless you were shocking the pool, or doing some other kind of maintenance that made it have extra chemicals in it, he's probably gonna be fine.

    I feel you though, I flip out when anything happens to my baby, lol.

    ETA: I forgot I was gonna say, we had a pool growing up and our dog would drink the pool water ( who knows dogs are weird, lol) and she was always fine.
  3. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    AmandaA's Avatar
    AmandaA is offline
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,822
    Blog Entries
    15
    #3
    Keep an eye on him, and it probably is a good idea to try and keep him calm. I would also try and figure out a way to prevent him from getting in the pool from now on.
  4. Senior Member
    Sooner*twin's Avatar
    Sooner*twin is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pensacola NAS
    Posts
    2,369
    #4
    Thanks, y'all! Normally, we don't leave him outside unsupervised for more than a couple minutes. I kind of got a little upset at DH for that, but he didn't know. If he's out there more than to just use the bathroom, I'm out there with him. I'm thankful DH at least found him before he got too exhausted.
  5. Senior Member
    BlinkyBear's Avatar
    BlinkyBear is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Me: Lost. Him: Japan
    Posts
    5,798
    #5
    I would watch him closely, but he probably swallowed a ton of water. When we take Ellie to the river and she goes swimming, she sometimes pukes up a few times and then she's fine.
  6. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Zatchbell322's Avatar
    Zatchbell322 is offline
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    854
    #6
    If it were my dog I wouldn't take him in. My dogs almost always throw up when we get home from the beach from drinking all the salt water. He's probably gonna be really tired (if I remember correctly he's older right?). Just watch him and make sure he has lots of clean water available.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •