Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: :freakout

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

:freakout

Advertisements
    One of my fish (it's an x-ray tetra so I can see through the fish basically) is about to lay eggs

I don't know if my other x-ray is a male, so I don't know if they will be fertilized or if anything will come of it. I am so nervous. They would be first time parents so they will probably eat the eggs anyway

Guess we will have to wait and see
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Tetras are best spawned over either a "spawning mop" which can be removed to the nursery tank once the eggs have been laid or a in a "spawning tank" with a substrate that allows the eggs to get out of parental reach until you remove the parents back to their regular tank (marbles work good for this). The real trick to spawning them is raising the fry since egg-layer fry is SOOO small when they hatch (vs livebearer fry which emerge larger and more mature). Egg layers that provide parental care are easier because you can keep the spawn in the main tank (with parents providing "security") and they eat off the existing sources of fry food that can be supplemented with baby brine shrimp, etc. In an existing tank you have a bit of natural "infrusia" (the suggested first food for egg layer fry) vs. having to try to culture a separate culture for fry being raised in a spawning tank. You can pulverize flake food to a fine powder and even mix a little with water to create a liquid fry food - and you can get frozen baby brine shrimp but it will be a while before the fry would even be large enough for the BBS. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
    A tank with LOTS of cover for eggs and resulting fry may leave you with a few survivors here and there - which is a nice balance that keeps you from being overpopulated, which is the downside to taking steps to try to save as much of a spawn as possible. I no longer use breeding/rearing tanks because I am not breeding for production - I still get enough survivors to keep my tanks populated.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    BTW - tetras will always eat the eggs and resulting fry if given the chance, no matter how many spawns they have under their belt - they aren't parental fish. If you want a fun parental egg layer the cichlid family is a great option - either South/Central American or African
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Tetras are best spawned over either a "spawning mop" which can be removed to the nursery tank once the eggs have been laid or a in a "spawning tank" with a substrate that allows the eggs to get out of parental reach until you remove the parents back to their regular tank (marbles work good for this). The real trick to spawning them is raising the fry since egg-layer fry is SOOO small when they hatch (vs livebearer fry which emerge larger and more mature). Egg layers that provide parental care are easier because you can keep the spawn in the main tank (with parents providing "security") and they eat off the existing sources of fry food that can be supplemented with baby brine shrimp, etc. In an existing tank you have a bit of natural "infrusia" (the suggested first food for egg layer fry) vs. having to try to culture a separate culture for fry being raised in a spawning tank. You can pulverize flake food to a fine powder and even mix a little with water to create a liquid fry food - and you can get frozen baby brine shrimp but it will be a while before the fry would even be large enough for the BBS. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
    A tank with LOTS of cover for eggs and resulting fry may leave you with a few survivors here and there - which is a nice balance that keeps you from being overpopulated, which is the downside to taking steps to try to save as much of a spawn as possible. I no longer use breeding/rearing tanks because I am not breeding for production - I still get enough survivors to keep my tanks populated.
    what is a spawning mop?