Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: im about to ask about dog poop....

1. Senior Member

im about to ask about dog poop....

Advertisements
    recently (like in the last two weeks maybe) tank has been going #2 anywhere between 4 and 5 times a day. before that he would go twice normally, 3 times if he got a LOT of treats that day or something. should i be worried? I left a message with the vet (theyre apparently now closed on fridays, instead of tuesdays, so im hoping to hear from them tomorrow) to see what she says but i figured while i wait, i might as well see if any of you ever dealt with this.

background : hes 10 months old now, and eats 2x a day, drinks water like normal and hasnt acted sick. plays and sleeps like normal. he was on Innova for the first 5 months we had him, as reccommended by his vet and he was doing good on it. but they had one recall and havent put it back out lately, so we had to switch him. The vet said her second choice for him was Royal Canine, so thats what we have been feeding him for about 2 months now. so im not sure if thats whats affecting him, but i thought if it was his food, it would have bothered him sooner?

if it is his food, ill need to return the new 13lb bag of it that we have and get him something else, but what? what are some good dog foods? i dont like a ton of fillers and by-product-meal or whatever, and i noticed it had a lot of all of that in royal canine, but i thought the vet would know what she was talking about so i trusted her that it was a good brand.

advice?
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

2. Senior Member
    well, need a little more info than that such as how much does he weigh, how many cups a day are you feeding him, and what kind of breed(s) is he? and is the poop normal or is it runny. And is the Royal Canin the same protein source as the Innova? And did the amount of fiber change from Innova to Royal Canin? Calories as well?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    well, need a little more info than that such as how much does he weigh, how many cups a day are you feeding him, and what kind of breed(s) is he? and is the poop normal or is it runny. And is the Royal Canin the same protein source as the Innova? And did the amount of fiber change from Innova to Royal Canin? Calories as well?

ummmmm hes 14 pounds, he gets a total of 1 cup a day (half in the morning, half at night. per the vets instructions) and hes a pug/yorkie mix. its pretty firm in the morning (first 1 or 2 poops) and gets progressively runnier and the color goes from dark brown to like, medium brown and sometimes orange by the end poop. as for the fiber and protein and stuff, i have no idea. i know we just stopped with the innova bc they recalled it and they said they wouldnt be putting it back on the shelves for a while so we had no real choice but to change him over.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleclare View Post
    ummmmm hes 14 pounds, he gets a total of 1 cup a day (half in the morning, half at night. per the vets instructions) and hes a pug/yorkie mix. its pretty firm in the morning (first 1 or 2 poops) and gets progressively runnier and the color goes from dark brown to like, medium brown and sometimes orange by the end poop. as for the fiber and protein and stuff, i have no idea. i know we just stopped with the innova bc they recalled it and they said they wouldnt be putting it back on the shelves for a while so we had no real choice but to change him over.
    were you feeding the Innova with chicken and Turkey? And now are you feeding the Royan Canin mini puppy? I see that the Royan Canin mini puppy has corn and corn gluten meal in it which is a filler. The Innova does not have corn. And the Royan Canin has more fiber. These are probably reasons why your dog is pooping more. Always check labels before feeding a new food so you know what your pup is eating

I would look for a corn free food, and you can stick with chicken if you want. The possibilities are endless, it really depends on how much you are wanting to spend. Orijen and Acana are higher end nice foods. Blue Buffalo can be found at Petsmart. Science Diet's "Ideal Balance" food is corn free.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    were you feeding the Innova with chicken and Turkey? And now are you feeding the Royan Canin mini puppy? I see that the Royan Canin mini puppy has corn and corn gluten meal in it which is a filler. The Innova does not have corn. And the Royan Canin has more fiber. These are probably reasons why your dog is pooping more. Always check labels before feeding a new food so you know what your pup is eating

I would look for a corn free food, and you can stick with chicken if you want. The possibilities are endless, it really depends on how much you are wanting to spend. Orijen and Acana are higher end nice foods. Blue Buffalo can be found at Petsmart. Science Diet's "Ideal Balance" food is corn free.
    yeah i made the mistake to trust the vet's opinion. i figured since she was so pro-innova to begin with and then was so positive that royal canine was great, i just believed her. i was looking on the dogfoodgrading website and i liked what i saw with Blue Buffalo. i know Innova is supposed to be great too, but i want to read more about it first to prevent this happening again since it has avocado in it. and i thought i red somewhere that thats not good for dogs. but im not positive. so i need to do some more research

6. Member
    Avocado seeds, leaves and tree bark is not good for them but the rest isnt bad for them. Actually there is a brand of dog food made with avocado in it... Avoderm (sp?)
    Personally i feel like dog food is a personal judgement thing. Just because they say its the best food out there it doesnt mean it is the best food for your dog!
    Survived deployment #1
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I had the same issue with my dog's vet and them prescribing Royal canine. He has a sensitive stomach, and blue buffalo was making him sick. So they said "try Royal Canin intestinal puppy, because it'd be good for him since he has a sensitive stomach." Yeah well I went ahead and got it, and even though I saw corn I trusted the doctor knew what she was talking about. I got home and read the label further, and started thinking "What the hell? They seriously want my dog to eat this crap?" I swear is had more fillers and by-products in it than a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli, and my dog is a breed known for having issues with things like gluten and grains. Yet the vet thought it'd be a good idea to try anyways.. I paid almost $40 for a freaking 8 pound bag of, what IMHO is, crap dog food that my dog couldn't eat.

With that much extra stuff in it, like the corn, that isn't even really good for dogs. It is seriously that brand's food for dogs with stomach issues! That just speaks volumes to me about how crappy the brand is altogether though, and I would NEVER recommend anyone buy that crap for their dog. I am sorry your vet pushed to have you try that food out for your dog. I know exactly why like Bandfield pushes Royal canin though. It's because it makes them more money for you to buy that over other brands like Wellness, and exct.. It used to be they really pushed Science Diet when people came in asking about a new food for their pet, and now it's the Royal canin stuff since it's the newer brand and it.s supposedly "better." (Which from just reading the labels on some of that brands different types of food. It's the same if not worse than Since Diet, but it has a bigger price tag.)

Honestly, OP you can get one of the TOP dog foods for around the same price you'd pay for "prescription food" like Royal Canin. I mean I don't know about you, but the stuff they want my dog on is about $40, closer to $50 after taxes, for 8 pounds. For around that price you can get bigger bags of, what IMHO is, MUCH better food.

Bands I'd suggest you try. That are pricey but still reasonable(at least to me they aren't priced to badly. ) Finding a good food for your pup is just something you're going to have to try at. Don't settle for what someone says is great for their dog, or what they THINK would be great for your dog. Some of the top brands can still not be great for your dog. While some of the cheaper brands you'd not think of feeding him. Could actually be food he would do well on. You just don't want to go to cheap and start feeding your dog total crap food. Just read the labels, and educate yourself on what to look for. As to what is good and/or bad for your pup!

Acana
    Evo
    Innova (some dogs do good on this food, but some don't)
    Solid Gold dog food
    Wellness ( my dog is eating Wellness simple solutions right now. It has fewer ingredients than most other dog foods, and it has no extra fillers that would be bad for my pup. )
    Blue Buffalo
    Taste of the Wild
    Nature's Recipe
    Born Free Dog food
    Dog Lovers Gold

Here is a link to what to look for in a good dog food, and how to also a link with more info like how to help avoid being ripped off. By people trying to just sell you something more expensive to get more money out of you.
    The Dog Food Project - Identifying better products

How To Select a Pet Food That's Actually Good For Your Pet
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    I had the same issue with my dog's vet and them prescribing Royal canine. He has a sensitive stomach, and blue buffalo was making him sick. So they said "try Royal Canin intestinal puppy, because it'd be good for him since he has a sensitive stomach." Yeah well I went ahead and got it, and even though I saw corn I trusted the doctor knew what she was talking about. I got home and read the label further, and started thinking "What the hell? They seriously want my dog to eat this crap?" I swear is had more fillers and by-products in it than a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli, and my dog is a breed known for having issues with things like gluten and grains. Yet the vet thought it'd be a good idea to try anyways.. I paid almost $40 for a freaking 8 pound bag of, what IMHO is, crap dog food that my dog couldn't eat.

With that much extra stuff in it, like the corn, that isn't even really good for dogs. It is seriously that brand's food for dogs with stomach issues! That just speaks volumes to me about how crappy the brand is altogether though, and I would NEVER recommend anyone buy that crap for their dog. I am sorry your vet pushed to have you try that food out for your dog. I know exactly why like Bandfield pushes Royal canin though. It's because it makes them more money for you to buy that over other brands like Wellness, and exct.. It used to be they really pushed Science Diet when people came in asking about a new food for their pet, and now it's the Royal canin stuff since it's the newer brand and it.s supposedly "better." (Which from just reading the labels on some of that brands different types of food. It's the same if not worse than Since Diet, but it has a bigger price tag.)

Honestly, OP you can get one of the TOP dog foods for around the same price you'd pay for "prescription food" like Royal Canin. I mean I don't know about you, but the stuff they want my dog on is about $40, closer to $50 after taxes, for 8 pounds. For around that price you can get bigger bags of, what IMHO is, MUCH better food.

Bands I'd suggest you try. That are pricey but still reasonable(at least to me they aren't priced to badly. ) Finding a good food for your pup is just something you're going to have to try at. Don't settle for what someone says is great for their dog, or what they THINK would be great for your dog. Some of the top brands can still not be great for your dog. While some of the cheaper brands you'd not think of feeding him. Could actually be food he would do well on. You just don't want to go to cheap and start feeding your dog total crap food. Just read the labels, and educate yourself on what to look for. As to what is good and/or bad for your pup!

Acana
    Evo
    Innova (some dogs do good on this food, but some don't)
    Solid Gold dog food
    Wellness ( my dog is eating Wellness simple solutions right now. It has fewer ingredients than most other dog foods, and it has no extra fillers that would be bad for my pup. )
    Blue Buffalo
    Taste of the Wild
    Nature's Recipe
    Born Free Dog food
    Dog Lovers Gold

Here is a link to what to look for in a good dog food, and how to also a link with more info like how to help avoid being ripped off. By people trying to just sell you something more expensive to get more money out of you.
    The Dog Food Project - Identifying better products

How To Select a Pet Food That's Actually Good For Your Pet

i LOVED innova when we were giving it to him. im hoping our petsmart has re-stocked it since the small recall but they had it off the shelves for about 2 months last i checked, and we didnt have enough stocked up at the house to last him that long i got a couple of brands i want to take a look at when we go to the store today, so ill put your recommendations on my list to check out too.

thank you!!

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie113 View Post
    Avocado seeds, leaves and tree bark is not good for them but the rest isnt bad for them. Actually there is a brand of dog food made with avocado in it... Avoderm (sp?)
    Personally i feel like dog food is a personal judgement thing. Just because they say its the best food out there it doesnt mean it is the best food for your dog!
    thanks doll i was hoping you would see this and throw in your petsmart knowledge