Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not good, need advice

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Not good, need advice

Advertisements
    ETA: Disregard this. We've spent the better part of the morning pulling ticks off him (so awful) and combing for fleas. He needs more than we can give him. He eats and drinks, but he's having a struggle going to the bathroom. I took him out every hour last night and he only pooped one tiny little nugget. I'm worried about his health and if he will make Elliot sick or something. I just don't think we can do this. The shelter on post opens at 8 am and DH and I are going to take him to them. I don't know if they'll charge us a fee even though he's not actually our dog? But it's worth it to get him somewhere he can be helped. I'm working on the process to volunteer at that shelter too so I can keep up with how he's doing and see where he ends up. I'll let the rescues I've contacted know where he is too so maybe he can get in with a rescue and they'll make sure he goes to a proper home. If not, he will be at a shelter being cared for. Though they are not officially no kill, they do keep the dogs for a good amount of time and as a puppy he will be adopted quickly most likely.

I'm just not able to provide what he needs without sacrificing Elliot's well being and I am not willing to do that to my baby. The shelter can help him. The workers there are really kind, genuine people too and I know one of the MPs fosters animals fairly frequently. I'm confident he will be in good hands. After we get him to the shelter I will be vacuuming, sweeping and disinfecting the floors so that Elliot can roam free once more.

I feel like I'm a terrible person for not keeping this puppy, but Elliot's health and happiness is just so much more important than anything else. I'm glad we gave him a safe place last night and are getting him to a place where he can be cared for today.
    I just can't help but have a guilt attack and feel like I owe it to him to keep him.

-------------------------

DH and I ended up with a puppy tonight. Someone PCSed and abandoned these puppies (about 6 weeks old? Maybe 7) that their Great Pyrenees had. There were 6 puppies. DH and I took one, a neighbor took another, and the lady who found them has 4 that she is trying to find places for. Yes, she intends to contact the CoC of the person who abandoned these puppies. We were hesitant to send them to a shelter because the ones here are not no kill. So, DH and I decided to help as we could and take one.

IT IS NOT FOR KEEPS.
    We intend to contact rescues tomorrow and find a place for him. There is a Great Pyrenees rescue in OK I will contact. They need foster homes anyway so we may offer to foster him til he has an adopter.

The main issue we have is his flea/tick situation. We gave him a bath in dawn dish soap tonight and combed him with a nit comb but it's sort of overwhelming. DH pulled a couple ticks off but he didn't want to continue for fear he wouldn't get the heads out of future ticks. We mostly got burs off him. I'm not sure he even has fleas because we didn't see anything crawling, but being outside in Oklahoma in this weather I imagine he does. And he appeared to have flea dirt on him (though, he also had a lot of dirt dirt so who knows?) and we combed some little red specks off him that I automatically decided were fleas.

We're keeping him in Elliot's old crate in the kitchen tonight (Elliot has been stuck in our bedroom, poor baby) and he's very sweet. He ate some soft puppy food we got him, but didn't have any water. He hasn't pottied yet but I will take him out and offer him water a couple more times throughout the night.

Obviously, I'm calling the vet tomorrow. How much will they do for me? I want to figure something out about the fleas and maybe have some help getting ticks off him. Money isn't a concern for me - I just want to take care of the little guy right now. We can afford whatever. Can the vet do much for him, being so young? Like as far as fleas and such go? I just don't know how much we can do for him if he has to be separated from Elliot for forever because that's a hassle. I'd like to foster him, get him vet care, and train him and help him get ready for his forever home if I can though.

Just, any advice/insight would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bajingo; 05-16-2013 at 05:53 AM.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I read yesterday that if you soak a cotton ball in Dawn and hold it to the tick for a few minutes, it will come out and it will stick to the cotton ball. Then you can just burn them/flush them/whatever. I'd give that a try!
  3. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Here are some pictures of him just because his face is cute

Holding puppies makes me smile...he is too damn cute. Someone is gonna love him!

These are the four siblings still needing somewhere to go

And here he is chilling in the crate in my kitchen. He's very well behaved seeming.

He's an absolute sweetheart, but I'm seriously like sick to my stomach with this. We were not prepared for a puppy to be thrust at us but I feel responsible for his little life now. We leave for a vacation in 2 weeks too so if the rescues don't haveother foster homes available immediately we will be paying to board him with our vet. I don't mind...we can afford to help this one puppy. I just feel stressed and worried about his future. I don't mind taking care of him til he has a place but my heart is just sad for him and his siblings.
  4. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    I read yesterday that if you soak a cotton ball in Dawn and hold it to the tick for a few minutes, it will come out and it will stick to the cotton ball. Then you can just burn them/flush them/whatever. I'd give that a try!
    We might have to look into that. DH is in bed now and we didn't see any other obvious ticks, but if there are and the vet can't remove them then we will take care of it.
  5. Live In Love
    Live In Love
    Something tells me this little guy is going to be with you for life... That happened to me with a little black lab puppy when she was six weeks old, she was abandoned. Now, at eleven weeks, she's cuddled up with my German shepherd, and they're in separable
  6. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

We just went to take Elliot out and he was not happy about a puppy in the kitchen. He had his angry Aussie face

I mean, part of me obviously is like "My puppy forever!" but it's really just not a wise idea right now.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So adroable!! I would wanna keep him for everr
  8. Live In Love
    Live In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by bajingo View Post
    We just went to take Elliot out and he was not happy about a puppy in the kitchen. He had his angry Aussie face

I mean, part of me obviously is like "My puppy forever!" but it's really just not a wise idea right now.
    Oh Kenna did that too, until one night, puppy learned how to escape from the black crate of doom. I thought Kenna would kill he, I woke up and found them cuddling together on the guest bed. I guess they settled their differences while momma slept
  9. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    So adroable!! I would wanna keep him for everr
    Trust me, the want is there! I just don't know if DH and I are in a position where we're ready for that.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherBear View Post
    Oh Kenna did that too, until one night, puppy learned how to escape from the black crate of doom. I thought Kenna would kill he, I woke up and found them cuddling together on the guest bed. I guess they settled their differences while momma slept
    Aww. I mean, I'm sure Elliot would come around...he LOVES other dogs. But DH and I are in the process of moving from our apartment to a house on post, we are leaving the state for the first 2 weeks of June and honestly the responsibility just scares me. Elliot is easy because he's a big boy now. I don't know if I can handle a puppy.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If our dog liked other dogs. OMG. We would have so many foster puppies running around there would be no where to put your feet.

He's adorable and I am so glad he and his siblings found people to help them. You're awesome!

As for ticks, our dog had one when we rescued her, I had no clue what it was, just that it wasn't supposed to be there. So I ripped it out, lol. I just put a kleenex over it, put my nails right where it connected to the skin (now I know the head and everything) and just did one swift quick hard pull. We went to the vet soon after and it was all red but I guess I got it all out because she was fine. Ticks are SO GROSS. I learned what it was and almost threw up, lol. yuck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast