Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How much should I be feeding him?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How much should I be feeding him?

Advertisements
    My dog is about 15 weeks old, weighs 16lbs, and is supposedly a newfie/lab mix. How much does he need to eat every day?

I Eelizah
  2. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    What are you feeding him? The higher quality foods you can feed less of.
  3. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Should be a feeding chart on the bag

4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    On the bag there should be feeding instructions based on size. Those are great guidelines to start out by, and then you can adjust based on if he gains too much weight and becomes chubs, or stays too skinny. Know that as a puppy he will ALWAYS act starving (ok not always, but 95% of puppies), so go by the bag. No one on here can say how much to feed, as each brand food has different caloric quantities and it will change based on his weight that month.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ok, I didn't know how accurate the bag was. I'll definitely take a look at that. When he first got here, he only ate here an there throughout the day. Now he eats all the time if he can, so I was getting concerned. Thank you!

I Eelizah
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Ok, I didn't know how accurate the bag was. I'll definitely take a look at that. When he first got here, he only ate here an there throughout the day. Now he eats all the time if he can, so I was getting concerned. Thank you!
    Just like humans, they go in spurts. He may be eating a super lot this month, and if it seems like that, giving him a little extra (extra quarter or half cup, depending on how much the bag says to feed him normally) wont hurt in the puppy stage. Watching the weight becomes important around 6-9 months. If he is a big dog you do not want an ounce of extra weight on him once he gets towards adulthood as it exponentially increases a number of diseases like arthritis, hip dysplasia etc..
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    And if he's like mine, he'll never stop being like that.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Just like humans, they go in spurts. He may be eating a super lot this month, and if it seems like that, giving him a little extra (extra quarter or half cup, depending on how much the bag says to feed him normally) wont hurt in the puppy stage. Watching the weight becomes important around 6-9 months. If he is a big dog you do not want an ounce of extra weight on him once he gets towards adulthood as it exponentially increases a number of diseases like arthritis, hip dysplasia etc..
    I'm feeding him Blue Buffalo and it says he should get 1/3-1 1/4 cup per day spread out over 3 feedings. He definitely ate way more than that today.

Also, my dads puppy is only 8 weeks so he should be getting 1/4-1 cup. Should I try to crate one while the other eats to make sure they are getting the right amount?

I Eelizah
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm feeding him Blue Buffalo and it says he should get 1/3-1 1/4 cup per day spread out over 3 feedings. He definitely ate way more than that today.

Also, my dads puppy is only 8 weeks so he should be getting 1/4-1 cup. Should I try to crate one while the other eats to make sure they are getting the right amount?
    Yes, you should use controlled feeding - and not only for the reason of controlling the feeding amounts.