Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My poor cat had 12 teeth extracted

1. Senior Member

My poor cat had 12 teeth extracted

Advertisements
    She is only 4 years old, but she has feline tooth resorption (TR). A cat has 30 teeth; she had 12 extracted and it looks like some of her teeth resorped on their own. It is a good thing she will eat wet food because she cannot have dry food for two weeks. Since we were transitioning our cats to only eating wet food for nutritional reasons, I guess yesterday was the last day they had dry food.

They don't know what causes TR, so there is no prevention. And once they have it, it will probably effect a number of their teeth. She has two remaining premolars, but those will probably be effected in the future and will have to be removed then. You can't really tell by looking at her because she still has her canines. She was probably in pain, but she didn't let us know - poor thing. She is doing well now, but she was under for a long time, over two hours, and right now she is having a little bit of difficulty jumping up and one of her eyes is dilated.

She has had a rough life. We got her almost two years ago. She came from a show breeder that turned into a hoarder. There were 199 cats in the house when she was rescued!! She had several different medical issues when she was rescued and conditions there were probably never great. She likely never got enough good food, even in utero, which is why she is a petite Maine Coon cat, only 8 pounds which is pretty small for a Maine Coon. Hopefully, she will bounce right back from today's surgery and she will be in less pain.
  2. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

I hope she makes a speedy recovery!

3. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    poor baby! I know its a lot of teeth to take out but sadly Ive seen more be removed. lol Yay for wet food! and yay for removing the teeth... TR can be harmless but very painful for kitties. the trouble jumping and dilation is normal after anesthesia. I hope she feels better!

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks. She is acting pretty normal and is eating. I am only giving her small amounts of food and she is not having any problems with eating. Tomorrow she will probably wolf down her food.