Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat help.

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Cat help.

Advertisements
    I have an eleven year old American Short-hair kitty cat fur baby. She has been having some issues lately. I have taken her to the vet three times in the past couple of months. They ruled out, what the vet called, "anything serious." She is currently on CatLax.

Her problem is that she can't eat. She has an appetite and tries to eat and drink, but she will just chew. The food falls out of her mouth most of the time. She tries to drink, but most of the water just dribbles down her chest.

My next step is syringe feeding her baby food to make sure she keeps her caloric intake up (her vet showed me how).

Is there anything I can do for her for the next couple of days, until I can get her to the vet again? Is there anything I can do to ease any pain she might be having? Is there anything I need to be specifically watching out for?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sorry your kitty is unwell. When my cat isn't eating well I supplement with Nutri-Cal for Cats High Calorie Dietary Supplement to keep his weight up. Its thick so it clings to the roof of his mouth. When my cat eats less he ends up feeling worse and doesn't eat and its an unpleasant circle so I just gotta keep on top of it.
    Last edited by Procella; 05-07-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: wording
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Are you feeding kibble or canned food?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What tests/exams have they done in making their determination of what is/isn't the problem?
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    She usually eats at least a can and a half a day and nibbles on her kibble. They did x wrays and blood work. Nothing abnormal on either. They said, other than her arthritis she's a healthy cat. I remember them saying they checked helr for Kitty aids and leukemia. They checked her organ functions (liver and kidneys) . She seems to be mentally okay. Recently noticed the right side of her face is swollen.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    When I have to force feed her I'm using baby food and tried some of the stuff suggested above to try to keep her caloric intake high enough so she doesn't develop anything else.
  7. I'm still Jennie from the block....
    I'm still Jennie from the block....

My guess since you said her mouth is swollen is she may have an infected tooth or abscess in her mouth. That's probably why she is having trouble eating cause it might hurt. I would tell the vet to check her mouth and teeth. I hope she gets better!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jennifromdablok View Post
    My guess since you said her mouth is swollen is she may have an infected tooth or abscess in her mouth. That's probably why she is having trouble eating cause it might hurt. I would tell the vet to check her mouth and teeth. I hope she gets better!
    Yup, now that you said something about her mouth, I'd think its a bad tooth in there. Definitely get her checked out. That's happened to nearly every older cat we had as I was growing up.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Curious as to whether they did an oral exam prior to the bloodwork/x-rays - because as said above, my first thought is bad tooth/abcess.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    yep, my first thought is an abcessed tooth. also she could have mouth or throat cancer that would not show on an xray.

a pet regardless of a dog or cat or any other animal -that cannot chew or swallow IS serious in itself. they eat because they need too, not because they want to or are bored, but because they have a natural driven need to survive and eat.

I would tell your vet to be pro active to check her mouth , teeth and throat. if necessary to do an MRI ( if you have the funds to do this).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast