Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you do with pets when you're away?

1. Senior Member

what do you do with pets when you're away?

Advertisements
    all this talk about boarding pets and the experiences being hit or miss makes me wonder... what are all the different avenues y'all take to have your pets taken care of when you are away? as in, for days.

I've never boarded my dogs... kind of happened more by accident that we didn't do this in the beginning, but now it's become more of something that I just don't find attractive, personally.

What we've been able to do at each house we've had is 1. doggie doors 2. a fence and 3. some sort of barrier when they come back into the house that blocks them off in just the kitchen/dining room whatever is right in front of the backdoor depending on the house. Then we have someone come feed the dogs twice a day.

THis has seemed to work out pretty well for us. We always use my DH's coworkers, there is a level of trust there much quicker than a complete stranger. People are more willing to do it because the dogs don't have to stay at their house (which some people see as stressful and inconvenient) all they have to do is come to our house and feed them and leave. So, it's not "a week of having these people's dogs at my house" it's "a week of having to go feed the dogs." Much easier and peoplea re more willing to do it. And then, obviously, the dogs let themselves , and get to go in and out for the bathroom on their own and run around and play as they please. The guys come feed them before work, then feed them on their way home from work. easy peasy.

I've even set up a webcam of sorts at this house so I can check on them through my phone when we are away I love it.

plus, with using co workers they really don't expect a payment... it's a whole "helping eachother out" mentality since they all work together. We usually pick 3 or 4 guys that we rotate in using so we have a better chance of having someone if someone else is busy. However, if we seem to be ending up with the same guy multiple times in a row, or he feeds our dogs for a long trip that's longer than a couple days, we usually give them a giftcard to a restaurant or buy them beer.

this may not be the right situation for everyone, but it's worked for us thus far!

so that's my method of what we do with the dogs' care when we are away saga whats yours?
  2. Senior Member
    In Germany we use the graf/vilseck wives page to find dog sitters. Everyone is willing to help each other out since we don't have a lot of resources here. I have friends with dogs though that watch mine, and in return I watch theirs. I wouldn't ever leave my dogs home alone and roaming about, they would destroy house in 2 nanoseconds

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We've always taken them with us, in July we'll be boarding them for the first time and I am SO SO nervous. I plan on making a surprise visit to the facility as soon as I get home so I can see what they are really like. One of our dogs is quite hyper and also has severe allergies so I have a feeling I'm going to be stressed about leaving them the whole time. All our friends are going on vacation at the same time as us for the most part so there's no one who can do it at our own house. Hopeful for a good first experience.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The dogs are boarded with our vet - they know our animals and are best set to respond to any injury or illness that might occur in our absence vs. a boarding facility that would have to seek that care/attention possibly causing delays in treatment. The cats, horses and fish are looked after either by our neighbor or my friend/her kids. Whoever watches them for us feeds, waters and checks them at least twice a day. I prefer our neighbor simply because he is right there and I know he actually spends more time than just twice a day keeping an eye on and giving attention to our babies. My friend lives a few miles away so she stops on the way to/from work or school and while I know she does a great job it isn't as much attention as they get from the neighbor. I board the dogs just because they are so much more labor intensive and would not be okay with someone just being there twice a day.
  5. Senior Member
    dh and i just don't go away.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I've never boarded a pet. We either take them with us or have a friend watch them.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    The dogs are boarded with our vet - they know our animals and are best set to respond to any injury or illness that might occur in our absence vs. a boarding facility that would have to seek that care/attention possibly causing delays in treatment. The cats, horses and fish are looked after either by our neighbor or my friend/her kids. Whoever watches them for us feeds, waters and checks them at least twice a day. I prefer our neighbor simply because he is right there and I know he actually spends more time than just twice a day keeping an eye on and giving attention to our babies. My friend lives a few miles away so she stops on the way to/from work or school and while I know she does a great job it isn't as much attention as they get from the neighbor. I board the dogs just because they are so much more labor intensive and would not be okay with someone just being there twice a day.
    I've always said that if we for some reason in an emergency or desperation "needed" to board them, that I would choose to board them at the vet Maybe even when they are old farts or develop health issues I would too for the very reasons you listed, knowing they are in medical care. I wonder if anyone has ever had a bad experience similar to the "dog boarding nightmare" thread that was with boarding with a vet? or if it's less common for their to be an issue in those cases.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When we were stationed in NC we had a couple of single friends who would jump at the chance to get out of the barracks - they stayed at the house and took care of our (at that time) one kitty as well as giving the security of not having a vacant house. We don't have anyone here where we are now that doesn't have their own house, kids, spouse, etc to worry about so that's no longer an option..
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    When we were stationed in NC we had a couple of single friends who would jump at the chance to get out of the barracks - they stayed at the house and took care of our (at that time) one kitty as well as giving the security of not having a vacant house. We don't have anyone here where we are now that doesn't have their own house, kids, spouse, etc to worry about so that's no longer an option..
    OH MY GOODNESS!! same with us... I was going to write that in the OP but had already written so much so I refrained but yes, at our previous base there were much more single guys and much more guys that couldn't afford to go home on actual holidays, they'd always visit home other times. So we had LOTS more people to choose from and always had someone easily to come take care of our pets if we left for Christmas. One guy even spent Christmas with my dogs watching movies on our couch

NOw here most everyone is married and more than able to travel and be away on holidays. We have less to choose from and less options around holidays... but we don't go away very often either, so at least that's good.
  10. Senior Member
    When we were back in our hometown they would stay with my sister or MIL. Here if we're going to be gone for a full day (early morning to late night) like if we're going to the beach then we have a neighbor come let them out a few times a day. We've only had to board them once since we've been here thankfully but we board them in a kennel where they have free access to an outdoor run and they are kept together. I still hate it and hate the place we boarded them at but we don't have anyone that we would ask to keep them for a long period of time. We are going to have a good friend of DH's come over when I go into labor to take care of them though.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast