Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Island Pet Movers?

1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Island Pet Movers?

Advertisements
    My cat, Ruby, passed her OIE-FAVN blood test, so in about 120 days, she will be cleared to come to Hawaii! My first plan was to have my father bring Ruby with him when he comes to visit DH and I in late August/Early September. After reading about the process further and the paperwork to file with Department of Agriculture, it seems very overwhelming. I have talked to a few people who live here and have had pets come from the Mainland, recommended I look into Island Pet Movers. They make travel arrangements for Ruby, file all of the paperwork that needs to be filed, makes sure all of the paperwork is in order and will drop her off at my house. DH and my father think it is worth the $750 dollars that I was quoted. The $750 includes the flight, aiport release fee, fees to file the paperwork, etc.

I'm considering it because that they handle all the paperwork. Also because in order for Ruby to get a same day release at the airport, my father's flight would have to land in Honolulu, before 3pm because the airport release office closes at 5pm. If she gets here after 3pm, she would be held over night for an additional charge. All of the flights I have looked at, come in after 3pm, except for a direct flight from JFK to Honolulu and would be via Hawaiian airlines. The flight would be from JFK to Honolulu. One problem. Hawaiian airlines doesn't fly animals in and out of JFK.

Does anyone here on MSOS have any personal dealings with Island Pet Movers or know of someone who has used them? Any other suggestions? I'm open to ideas.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I looked into it when we moved from Hawaii to here just for the pure ease of one thing less for me to not deal with but in the end. I'm a control freak and I couldn't be comfortable having other people responsible for my dogs and the single sailor's two cats we were sponsoring out here on the flight while the boat was in transit.

Honestly, since you're in Hawaii already, I would just take care of it yourself and save your money. It's not as bad as it looks and you can easily go to the base vet or US Agriculture and ask them to double check stuff for you.
  3. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I looked into it when we moved from Hawaii to here just for the pure ease of one thing less for me to not deal with but in the end. I'm a control freak and I couldn't be comfortable having other people responsible for my dogs and the single sailor's two cats we were sponsoring out here on the flight while the boat was in transit.

Honestly, since you're in Hawaii already, I would just take care of it yourself and save your money. It's not as bad as it looks and you can easily go to the base vet or US Agriculture and ask them to double check stuff for you.
    I never thought about going to the base vet to have them check over the paperwork. That's a great idea! The more I think about it, the more I would like to do it myself. DH and my father think I'm going to screw it up. Once the two of them get an idea in there head, especially when they agree with each other, they become stubborn as hell. I just want to have all the information before I make an informed decision.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyatheart86 View Post
    I never thought about going to the base vet to have them check over the paperwork. That's a great idea! The more I think about it, the more I would like to do it myself. DH and my father think I'm going to screw it up. Once the two of them get an idea in there head, especially when they agree with each other, they become stubborn as hell. I just want to have all the information before I make an informed decision.
    You won't be able to screw it up because you won't be able to get far enough to screw anything up (hopefully that makes sense) As long as you follow the agriculture's check list and just bug people with questions, the biggest part of what you need done (rabies) is already done! Just a quick check up before she flies and then the paperwork I can help you a bit, too, so don't hesitate to bug me! Your best resource will be the base vet, though, they do this stuff day in and day out so they've got it down!
  5. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

You won't be able to screw it up because you won't be able to get far enough to screw anything up (hopefully that makes sense) As long as you follow the agriculture's check list and just bug people with questions, the biggest part of what you need done (rabies) is already done! Just a quick check up before she flies and then the paperwork I can help you a bit, too, so don't hesitate to bug me! Your best resource will be the base vet, though, they do this stuff day in and day out so they've got it down!
    I understand what you are saying. The 120 day waiting period started April 20th. I'm just waiting for the paperwork to arrive that says she passed. I know the checklist says I have to file a form with the Department of Agriculture. I'm not quite sure how to do that. The base vet is within walking distance of my house so that helps because I can go walk in and bug them anytime. I'm going to be a nervous wreck when my cat is actually in the air.

6. Senior Member
    I second this! We moved our cat to HI after our arrival and he flew with my MIL and was a same day release. It was easier than I expected. The base vet is a wonderful resource! We had to have our cat registered with the base vet anyway since we were living on base.
  7. Senior Member
    I understand what you are saying. The 120 day waiting period started April 20th. I'm just waiting for the paperwork to arrive that says she passed. I know the checklist says I have to file a form with the Department of Agriculture. I'm not quite sure how to do that. The base vet is within walking distance of my house so that helps because I can go walk in and bug them anytime. I'm going to be a nervous wreck when my cat is actually in the air.
    Once the form is filled out you bring that form down to their facility in Halawa. It has to be 10 days prior to arrival. Once the animal arrives and it slotted for direct release you'll go to the ag pick up area at the airport. If it's after 5 PM, you'll have to wait until the next day to pick her up.
  8. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    Once the form is filled out you bring that form down to their facility in Halawa. It has to be 10 days prior to arrival. Once the animal arrives and it slotted for direct release you'll go to the ag pick up area at the airport. If it's after 5 PM, you'll have to wait until the next day to pick her up.

Who fills out the form? I'm sorry if it is a stupid question. Thanks for your help!

9. Senior Member
    Who fills out the form? I'm sorry if it is a stupid question. Thanks for your help!
    If I remember correctly, my DH filled out the form. It's not a stupid question! It such a confusing process if you've never had to go through it before. I was overwhelmed by the entire process both incoming and outgoing.

ETA: Please feel free to ask ANY question! I'll help in any way that I can and I use my husband as a resource as well.
  10. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    If I remember correctly, my DH filled out the form. It's not a stupid question! It such a confusing process if you've never had to go through it before. I was overwhelmed by the entire process both incoming and outgoing.

ETA: Please feel free to ask ANY question! I'll help in any way that I can and I use my husband as a resource as well.
    Thanks! I appreciate the help so far! The vet at West Point is suppose to mail me the info that says she passed her blood test and I'm waiting for that. Ruby's 120 day waiting period will be up August 20 or 21st. Is there anything I should be doing now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast