Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: interceptor update?! alternatives... ?

  1. Senior Member
    alice04's Avatar
    alice04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,408
    #1

    Sad interceptor update?! alternatives... ?

    Advertisements
    so Interceptor users have known for like a year now that there have been issues with production that Novartis kept saying was temporary, but indefinite. I was still able to a while to get one pill sent to me once a month for a while... now no longer. The Novartis website for Interceptor kept putting up an update pretty regularly saying that they were working towards getting the plant up and running again and were doing something like a test batches to get back the approval to open up again, and always made it sound like the aim was to get it back in production again. The last update was like the beginning of March, so like 2 months ago, and it used language that suggested Interceptor would be made once again in the future.

    So I went to the site today to see if there were any updates... and instead of the normal link to a press release update, a little pop up appears using the words "we are no longer making Interceptor" and then recommends something else. I wonder if this is just a more concise response to people to let them know that production has been halted and it's taking a long time to reverse that... or if that legit means they are no longer making it ever again, forever

    heres the site that used to post updates and now has the pop up:

    Interceptor

    I kind of want to contact the company and clarify this... but I wonder with such a big company if and when i'd hear back. I was always hoping that like a year from now they'd be producing it again!

    The alternative they suggest also has the same ingredient as Interceptor, but plus another ingredient for fleas. And I just am not a fan of that, plus fleas are a non-issue for us. I've tried to see if any other heartworm med out there solely contains milbemycin oxime, but apparently there isn't!! how can that be? Novartis is the only company ever to make a heartworm med with this sole ingredient?! strange.

    anyways... sorry so long. I've been trying to figure things out for my pets. Any former Interceptor users out there, do you know any thing more than me about this?
  2. Studying my life away.
    BrilliantBliss's Avatar
    BrilliantBliss is offline
    Studying my life away.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    628
    #2
    They suggested Trifexus I guess? Why not use it? I use Trifexus and I absolutely love it!! And I mean, since it has the same ingredient you might as well get it. And you never know, fleas might become a problem for you sometime, and they would remain a non issue because you already have them on stuff for it.

    ETA: So I just went to the website and realized sentinel is the recommended drug, but, same difference lol. I still suggest trifexus because its wonderful
  3. Senior Member
    Ajax's Avatar
    Ajax is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,731
    #3
    i've never heard of interceptor, but i've had my dog on sentinel for years, now. i think my parents have had their dogs on it for awhile as well.

    honestly, fleas might be a 'non-issue', but... better safe than sorry.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

    on my fingertips and at brain edges

    and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

    time to eas, baby!
  4. Senior Member
    alice04's Avatar
    alice04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,408
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantBliss View Post
    They suggested Trifexus I guess? Why not use it? I use Trifexus and I absolutely love it!! And I mean, since it has the same ingredient you might as well get it. And you never know, fleas might become a problem for you sometime, and they would remain a non issue because you already have them on stuff for it.

    ETA: So I just went to the website and realized sentinel is the recommended drug, but, same difference lol. I still suggest trifexus because its wonderful
    yes, Trifexis is the drug my actual vet recommended to me too, but is a different company than what makes Interceptor. I've been looking into it, and others, and I may choose that because you are right it also contains that ingredient. I am just more wary of the flea ingredient within it and what it does to the system. Clearly it is safe for many dogs or else it wouldn't be continually used by so many, but I am not sure it is worth the risk for me personally. And I hate change What kind of dog do you have, age and weight? And also how long have you been using Trifexis? I'm trying to get all the beneficial info I can
  5. Senior Member
    alice04's Avatar
    alice04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,408
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    i've never heard of interceptor, but i've had my dog on sentinel for years, now. i think my parents have had their dogs on it for awhile as well.

    honestly, fleas might be a 'non-issue', but... better safe than sorry.
    Same question for you, what kind of dog do you have and their age and weight? And how long have you been using Sentinel? (I see you say years, but was wondering how many) thanks
  6. Studying my life away.
    BrilliantBliss's Avatar
    BrilliantBliss is offline
    Studying my life away.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    628
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    yes, Trifexis is the drug my actual vet recommended to me too, but is a different company than what makes Interceptor. I've been looking into it, and others, and I may choose that because you are right it also contains that ingredient. I am just more wary of the flea ingredient within it and what it does to the system. Clearly it is safe for many dogs or else it wouldn't be continually used by so many, but I am not sure it is worth the risk for me personally. And I hate change What kind of dog do you have, age and weight? And also how long have you been using Trifexis? I'm trying to get all the beneficial info I can
    I have a 5 year old toy Australian shepherd that weighs 12 pounds and a 2 year old standard Aussie that weighs 60 pounds, they've been on Trifexus for gosh I don't know, two years? They've been on it ever since they put the product out, and before that they were on Comfortis for fleas, which is the same ingredient as in Trifexus and they were on that for at least 2 years before Trifexus. (well, at least the toy Aussie was anyways) I've never had any issues with it and it's so easy to just make them swallow a pill once a month, I even get email reminders from Elanco to give my dogs their pill.
  7. Senior Member
    Ajax's Avatar
    Ajax is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,731
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    Same question for you, what kind of dog do you have and their age and weight? And how long have you been using Sentinel? (I see you say years, but was wondering how many) thanks
    - siberian husky.
    - 3 years old.
    - just shy of 50lbs.

    i can't remember exactly when he started taking sentinel, but i think he's been on it for, maybe, a little under 3 years? my parents have been using it longer, though, so they were why i was sold, when my vet recommended me it.

    eta: the dogs my parents gave it to where a pom (i don't know how much she weighed.) and, now, our german shepard/lab mix. i don't know how much he weighs either, but he's a fatty.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

    on my fingertips and at brain edges

    and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

    time to eas, baby!
  8. Senior Member
    alice04's Avatar
    alice04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,408
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantBliss View Post
    I have a 5 year old toy Australian shepherd that weighs 12 pounds and a 2 year old standard Aussie that weighs 60 pounds, they've been on Trifexus for gosh I don't know, two years? They've been on it ever since they put the product out, and before that they were on Comfortis for fleas, which is the same ingredient as in Trifexus and they were on that for at least 2 years before Trifexus. (well, at least the toy Aussie was anyways) I've never had any issues with it and it's so easy to just make them swallow a pill once a month, I even get email reminders from Elanco to give my dogs their pill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    - siberian husky.
    - 3 years old.
    - just shy of 50lbs.

    i can't remember exactly when he started taking sentinel, but i think he's been on it for, maybe, a little under 3 years? my parents have been using it longer, though, so they were why i was sold, when my vet recommended me it.

    eta: the dogs my parents gave it to where a pom (i don't know how much she weighed.) and, now, our german shepard/lab mix. i don't know how much he weighs either, but he's a fatty.
    thank you both! I am glad to hear from some people that use it, it just seems that most people use heartworm pills that contain ivermectin like Heartguard and whatnot. I've never actually met anyone that used Trifexis or Sentinel, or even Comfortis! I've been trying to figure out which is the safest route to go for an alternative... ivermectin based pills, or the other pills that contain the same Interceptor ingredient plus flea ingredient. Blah!

    Also wondering if anyone on here has had a pet have a bad reaction to either type of pill?
  9. Studying my life away.
    BrilliantBliss's Avatar
    BrilliantBliss is offline
    Studying my life away.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    628
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    thank you both! I am glad to hear from some people that use it, it just seems that most people use heartworm pills that contain ivermectin like Heartguard and whatnot. I've never actually met anyone that used Trifexis or Sentinel, or even Comfortis! I've been trying to figure out which is the safest route to go for an alternative... ivermectin based pills, or the other pills that contain the same Interceptor ingredient plus flea ingredient. Blah!

    Also wondering if anyone on here has had a pet have a bad reaction to either type of pill?
    In my own opinion I would try Sentinel because it's from the same company you've always used and trusted, and if your dogs have a reaction to that you could go to Trifexus because they use two different ingredients to accomplish the removal of fleas, and your dogs obviously have no issues with the milbemycin oxime.
  10. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #10
    Our dogs had always been on interceptor but they've been on trifexis for a while now for the same reason. They all do well on it, we've never had any problems at all. It does seem like trifexis may be hard to get ahold of though, I had to go on a wait list at my vet. She said it was because the manufacturer was having trouble keeping up with the high demand but who knows!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •