Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: slightly urgent ear question

1. Senior Member

slightly urgent ear question

Advertisements
    hoping someone can help me who knows about pup ears... or better yet a lovely vet or vet tech on here!!

I am in need of obtaining saline solution (im assuming sterile?) for flushing out my dog's ears to rid of a vet ear ointment that is no longer needed and likely causing further problems. I thought that perhaps this would be easy to find... all I find for "saline solution" is for contact lenses and nasal sprays... now my normal vet is closed, so I tried calling the emergency vet to ask further and he told me that any ear cleaner should be fine. I'm not comfortable with this... I need something non-ototoxic and most ear cleaners are not, saline solution seems to be the only sure fire way to clean this out safely. In googling I found recipes for "do it yourself" saline solution... but I am just not sure I am comfortable with that either, not sure if that rids of the sterility (or even if sterility is needed?!)

I really do not want to wait until Monday morning when my regular vet opens to get further clarity... I really want to take care of this ASAP. A friend recommended just plain, lukewarm water but I always thought that water in dogs' ears could cause infection. BLah! I hate when I encounter these problems after the vet closes.

Anybody out there use saline solution to flush their dog's ears? how do you obtain it? any other suggestions? what about the water, bad idea? I'm worried for his ears...
  2. Senior Member
    Did your vet tell you to remove the ointment?

My beagles have constant ear infections given the floppy nature of their ears and I have never heard of doing that. Put the ointment in, massage into the ear canal and then remove with your finger and a soft cloth.

If you want to clean your dogs ears I would get stuff specifically for cleaning ears. I would buy the stuff from my vet, but in the meantime OTC stuff from petsmart should do the trick. It will need to have some sort of drying agent so they don't get infected again.

Keep in mind, NEVER use Q-tips, it at all possible use your finger covered in a soft cloth.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Did your vet tell you to remove the ointment?

My beagles have constant ear infections given the floppy nature of their ears and I have never heard of doing that. If you want to clean your dogs ears I would get stuff specifically for cleaning ears. I would buy the stuff from my vet, but in the meantime OTC stuff from petsmart should do the trick.
    no, it's not really to clean the ears... sort of is, it is more to cleanse/rid the ear of the ointment. I do have "regular" ear cleaner, but I was told if there were any further complications to flush the ear out with a non-ototoxic solution... which I thought would be relatively simple to find but apparently not saline is what pops up everywhere in what is the only 100% non-ototoxic solution. According to the insert using anything else could risk deafness
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    no, it's not really to clean the ears... sort of is, it is more to cleanse/rid the ear of the ointment. I do have "regular" ear cleaner, but I was told if there were any further complications to flush the ear out with a non-ototoxic solution... which I thought would be relatively simple to find but apparently not saline is what pops up everywhere in what is the only 100% non-ototoxic solution. According to the insert using anything else could risk deafness
    Sorry I can't help because I have never had a vet give me anything with side effects like that. In the future I would ask for a different medicine because there is stuff out there that won't cause your dog to go deaf.

You might go to the drug store and ask them.
  5. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I would use the contact solution, when I worked at a kennel there was a dog with hear problems who came in with it for cleaning. It's saline solution, I would use that and if you're not comfortable after you get the ointment out I would get ear cleaner to flush it.