Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat won't stop meowing!! Neeeeed Sleep!!!

1. Regular Member

Bang Head Cat won't stop meowing!! Neeeeed Sleep!!!

Advertisements
    Hi ladies. I am hoping SOMEONE can help me out here. We have an older cat, he is about 15. In the last few months he has started meowing in the wee morning hours, NON STOP! I thought maybe he could have some sort of ailment but he only does this at night! I honestly don't know if he does it during the day because I work, but he doesn't usually do it when I get home, he starts in the wee hours (1-4AM) I can't sleep anymore! I have tried everything. Giving him plenty of love, he has plenty of food, plenty of water, his liter is clean. I leave lights on for him. He meows to come in our bedroom (even though I leave the door propped) and as soon as I let him he is meowing to go back out. He just roams around meowing. It's becoming a nightmare because I don't know how to stop it and I need sleep so badly. Any thoughts on what else to try?
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    My dad's cat started doing that when she went deaf. Are you sure he can hear properly still? 15 is pretty old!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    My dad's cat started doing that when she went deaf. Are you sure he can hear properly still? 15 is pretty old!
    This. We used to have a cat who would meow all night long, but she was about 17 years old and was obviously losing her senses.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When was he last fully vetted? A blood panel would not be a bad idea considering his age - often times systems will start to get a bit wonky and when certain levels start to get off you can see changes in behavior.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My first thought when cat's behavior dramatically changes is get to the vet for a full check up. They talk to you and tell you something's wrong the only way they can - changing their behavior.

He could just be changing his sleep habits, but I would have the vet check him first. If there isn't anything wrong, I would try adding some additional exercise/play time in the evenings to encourage him to need more sleep.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    When was he last fully vetted? A blood panel would not be a bad idea considering his age - often times systems will start to get a bit wonky and when certain levels start to get off you can see changes in behavior.
    Ziva, we have GOT to stop posting the same thing at the same time.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We set up a the laundry room for old man with a bed, food, water, and his litter box. We put him in there and close the door at night or when we leave the house. Basically he got lost and overwhelmed so he would cry and cry and cry. Vet offered him Valium or anti-depressants to help with his senility, but it seemed like it would just add to the problem. It was crazy, I didn't sleep though the night for close to a year, giving him his own room was the best decision for him and us.
  8. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Our old cat started to do that. Their eyesight starts to go and they get little kitty dementia. They get lost and confused at night. Usually that's why. We just put up with it, we're heavy sleepers, but it can be annoying.

Id get. blood panel though, it could be something else. Their kidneys start to go as they age.
  9. Regular Member
    You guys are great, thanks so much. I think a trip to the vet may be in order; I truly agree that he is just old and might be getting a little kitty dementia! Right this second he is just chilling, no meowing, ask me again in about 5 hours :o) I feel sorry for the little guy but I am such a light sleeper and once awake, it takes me hours to go back to sleep!
  10. Senior Member
    Is he neutered?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast