Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's mine!!! (and looking for some advice)

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He's mine!!! UPDATE and name suggestions

Advertisements
    I have finally adopted a puppy. This is my little guy:

I'm going to pick him up tomorrow, I can't wait.

I have a bunch of questions for all of you pet experts:

1. How do you pick a vet? A coworker recommended her's so I've been looking at the website, but I don't how to really choose. (this is the website: Animal Health Center of Land*O' Lakes - Home)
    2. How much should boarding with a vet cost? This one has large runs for $26/night and a suit for $31/night. Is that reasonable?
    3. It's about a 5 hour drive between my house and where the puppy is located, what do you think I should bring? I'm working on getting a crate. I have towels, water, treats/food, toys, leash, collar. Anything else?
    4. How soon should I begin training? (I don't know how old he is)

Any other advice?
    Last edited by AshleyO; 05-02-2013 at 10:44 AM.

I Eelizah
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He looks a lot like my Mr Grizzly!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    1. How do you pick a vet? A coworker recommended her's so I've been looking at the website, but I don't how to really choose. (this is the website: Animal Health Center of Land*O' Lakes - Home)
    2. How much should boarding with a vet cost? This one has large runs for $26/night and a suit for $31/night. Is that reasonable?
    3. It's about a 5 hour drive between my house and where the puppy is located, what do you think I should bring? I'm working on getting a crate. I have towels, water, treats/food, toys, leash, collar. Anything else?
    1. DH and I just went to the same place my parent's went.
    2. I have no idea.
    3. Our dog went on his first road trip, when he was about 7 weeks old. It was about 6 hours long, and all we had with us was his leash, food, and water. He ended up doing was sleeping in DH's lap the entire time. He didn't even have an accident or anything.
    4. DH started training him as soon as he was home with us. I think. That was over three years ago.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  4. Senior Member
    I use yelp and read all the reviews when finding a vet for the kittens.
    that sounds good for boarding prices to me I have not boarded a dog in yrs I don't remember.
    Plastic bags and paper towels incase he gets car sick (Maybe some new paper to lay down).
    We always start training right away like if you don't want them on the furniture then never let him on it even from day one, potty training start right away the stuff like that.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    Dr. Seuss
  5. Senior Member
    As far as the vet, it just needs to be someone who's practices fall into what you want for your dog.

Price for boarding will vary depending on where you are located and how nice the facility is. That sounds a little high to me, but not crazy, especially depending where you are.

Get a crate, stop every couple hours or so. We drove 5 hrs with our puppy as well but he only peed in the crate because he didn't have any real potty training yet so don't put a fancy bed in the crate, only towels. Bring different kinds of toys. If you can, have someone go with you so one of you can help occupy the puppy when he is awake.

Training should start immediately at home. Formal training it just depends, but I would see if someplace has puppy socials that you can take him to. It will allow him to play with puppies his age and learn social manners. Get him out and about and meeting lots of new people. I have books to suggest if you want to read up on how to start training your puppy at home. You could probably get through one of them today/tonight.
  6. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    As far as the vet, it just needs to be someone who's practices fall into what you want for your dog.

Price for boarding will vary depending on where you are located and how nice the facility is. That sounds a little high to me, but not crazy, especially depending where you are.

Get a crate, stop every couple hours or so. We drove 5 hrs with our puppy as well but he only peed in the crate because he didn't have any real potty training yet so don't put a fancy bed in the crate, only towels. Bring different kinds of toys. If you can, have someone go with you so one of you can help occupy the puppy when he is awake.

Training should start immediately at home. Formal training it just depends, but I would see if someplace has puppy socials that you can take him to. It will allow him to play with puppies his age and learn social manners. Get him out and about and meeting lots of new people. I have books to suggest if you want to read up on how to start training your puppy at home. You could probably get through one of them today/tonight.

Great advice. The price on boarding is the same as what I am seeing in my area. A bit on the higher range but this is a much more heavily populated city.
  7. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    We board our dogs for WAY more than that (it's about $100 for both of them a night) but we send them to a facility where they are together in a kennel with a run attached to it, and get let out into a field to play every day, plus walks. They're big Labradors, so we don't wanna leave them in a cage or anything.

I'd start training soon. He (or she?) looks like a herding mix. They can't see very far in front of their faces when they're that old, so if you're doing some training, make sure you're not standing or anything. I'd recommend soaking your leashes in bitter apple to stop that leash biting/pulling thing right away.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks for your advice everyone! I picked up some of the essentials and I got my car all ready for him this afternoon. I can't wait to meet him!

I Eelizah
  9. Senior Member
    So excited for you

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    Dr. Seuss
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Any other advice?

1. Honestly, I go off of recommendations of my friends in the area. We picked ours off of DH's prior experience with his other cat.
    2. That sounds reasonable to me. For our vet/boarding facility, we pay about $30 for both of our cats to be boarded in separate cages. For my parents, I remember them spending as much as $50 a night. Spending $31 a night for a suite is awesome! Also, something to think about for later - a much better and cost effect solution is to keep them at home when you are away. This is much better for older and potty trained animals. You can pay "pet sitters" to come by the house to give them TLC, feed them, clean up any messes, etc. It's always better to keep them in their home environment. But this is also a better option for older dogs/trained dogs.
    3. A comfortable blanket (maybe even one that smells like you so it can get used to your scent), a crate to transport home in (unless you have someone who can hold the puppy, but still have a crate just in case you need to stop).

As for supplies in general at home, you sound pretty good. I suggest puppy pads to help potty train! We placed them near the door to go outside and would place our doxie puppy on it about an hour or so after she drank water and then place her outside to try to get her to use the potty, just to train her that she needed to go there to pee. That lead to her understanding that she needed to go stand there if she wanted to get let out.

4. As soon as possible!

Have fun. The puppy looks precious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast