Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with Newfoundlad dog experience

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

For those with Newfoundlad dog experience

Advertisements
    I have never seen a Newfie in person before, but I have heard their coat described as rough/"crisp to the touch". Is that true of all Newfies? Is a short coat softer than a medium length coat?

I Eelizah
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've only ever seen them in a show/confirmation capacity... but their coats were always rather soft/fluffy feeling. Obviously they are groomed to a T, so I'd assume on a regular day they are more coarse feeling (meant to be water repellent)... but I don't think I'd classify the feel as 'crisp' or rough Perhaps more of a... thick/coarse... like something with naturally thick, heavy hair. My hair comes to mind (Italian)!

I love Newfies

ETA! I lied! DF's dad's neighbour has FOUR! I've only seen them from 15-20ft... but they did look a little 'rougher' but not their coat specifically. I think with proper grooming (which will likely be an everyday to every other day event) they will remain soft and smoother.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My mom has a Newfie, Zoe. Zoe has fluffy, black hair. We gets brushed every day or every other day whenever someone is sitting with her with patience to brush the whoe dog Her hair is super soft and fluffy! She doesn't get bathed very of then because she's still pretty young and it takes a lot of time and effort for my parents to actually get her clean but as long as she's brushed, she's soft and fluffy
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thank for you help ladies.

There are 3 Newfie puppies available for adoption. I sent an application for them. The lady at the rescue said that it would help if I could tell her which one I want, but as I've never met them I don't know which one to choose. One of them is short haired, the others are long so I was wondering if one coat is better than the other so I could pick that way. I guess I'm just going to tell her that I need to pick based on personality and ask if she can give me a quick rundown of each.

I Eelizah
  5. Senior Member
    I've never owned one, but I have loved several. Their coats were pretty soft. They are certainly not wiry or course like a Schnauzer (for example).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Not in my experience. My neighbor had one growing up & I used to play with her on a daily basis. She had long hair & she was always fluffy & very soft.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have no clue about their coat type, but we ALMOST got a newfie. I reallllly wanted one, but they would not work around my husbands drill scheduled. BOO.

I love them! So fluffy
  8. Senior Member
    They do shed a ton. A ton! So if that is a concern for you, you might consider the short haired puppy. All the newfs I've ever met had long hair though.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    They do shed a ton. A ton! So if that is a concern for you, you might consider the short haired puppy. All the newfs I've ever met had long hair though.
    We always joke saying we could build a new dog out of what Zoe sheds. I didn't even know that newfies came in a short hair variety!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The outer coat is a bit coarse, by design, but the undercoat is soft and fluffy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast