Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do we do?

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

Confused What do we do?

Advertisements
    Our pup is 3 years old, a Lab/Rot mix, and lately she's been showing tons of signs that her stomach flipped. I feel awful because our family dog died of this a few years back, though she was 13. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together that this could be going on until DH brought it up. She's always been a grass eater, so her eating grass wasn't a big sign for me. She's been salivating a lot, trying to vomit and nothing comes out, she stopped eating today and, throughout today, her breathing has gotten very strange. She sounds like she's grunting when she takes a deep breath and she's passing an insane amount of gas. She likes being outside, but now, she wants outside all the time. Like she can't take being inside because the grass is out there.

DH is getting dressed and taking her to the ER vet. My family dog went through this and died of it a few years ago. She was 13 though, our girl is only 3.

Have any of you dealt with this before?

2. Gone Hiking
    Gone Hiking
    I haven't dealt with it but wanted to say that I am hoping for a good outcome for you and your pup.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I am so sorry. I hope she will be okay
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    No, but the longer you wait to take her to the vet once she shows signs of being unable to vomit, even by 30 minutes, the prognosis becomes more grave I am so sorry.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I hope everything is going to be ok!
  6. Senior Member
    My neighbors German Shepard Had this happen when she was fairly young. They had to have emergency surgery on her, and luckily she made it through!

Hopefully the Vets are able to help her!
    " u know those things that are like candy canes that taste like christmas in ur mouth what are those called?" " umm candy canes?" "Yeahhhh" R.I.P Christian

907Kim is my wifey
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Any update on your pup, OP? I have been sending her way.
  8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Thank you for all the good thoughts!

DH took her to the ER vet and it turns out she has IBS. She's on new food and a heartburn medication. The vet wants to give her some time to get the old food out of her system and see how the new food works. She thinks Abbey has grass stuck in the back of her throat, which is causing the gagging. We follow up with our vet in a few weeks.

Thank goodness it wasn't worse. Her being on food that's $50 a bag isn't fun but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative!

9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    Thank you for all the good thoughts!

DH took her to the ER vet and it turns out she has IBS. She's on new food and a heartburn medication. The vet wants to give her some time to get the old food out of her system and see how the new food works. She thinks Abbey has grass stuck in the back of her throat, which is causing the gagging. We follow up with our vet in a few weeks.

Thank goodness it wasn't worse. Her being on food that's $50 a bag isn't fun but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative!
    Oh thank god! I was so scared! I am glad it was something mild like this and not GDV.
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm glad it turned out to be mild! Cooper (our male dog) gets grass stuck in his throat sometimes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast