Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs with Allergies

1. Proud Army Wife :)
    Proud Army Wife :)

Dogs with Allergies

Advertisements
    My poor baby (yellow lab mix) has started suffering from allergies. Her feet and her ears get pink and she scratches/gnaws on them until they bleed. We took her to the vet and he gave her a shot that lasted for about 2 weeks. It really helped but didn't completely stop her scratching. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a really similar problem. Vet said the allergy could be from almost anything.
  2. Open arms, open heart
    Open arms, open heart
    Our GS mix has/had severe allergies to wheat/corn, grass, and cats. When he was a puppy, he would gnaw at his feet and knees. The vet suggested we try changing his food first, since that's the easiest allergy to control. It helped some but the grass is the main problem. Now that he's three, he's mostly grown out of his allergies (minus food) but still gets itchy around grass and cats.

Is your pup on flea medication? That helps Koa along with the grain free food. I know how frustrating allergies can be!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We had a dog growing up that had minor allergies... I feel like it was from her food... or her shampoo! I feel like she def used special shampoo. It seems like so long ago though, lol.

A friend had a dog who could ONLY eat his dog food. Even if he got a little piece of people food his allergies went bonkers....

So I guess I would try those things first...
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would suggest pursuing testing to identify the allergens - that way you can address the problem from a more targeted approach and likely get a fuller response to the treatment.
  5. Proud Army Wife :)
    Our vet said it would be too troublesome and expensive to test because it could be from absolutely anything. We are trying the food thing right now, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. It seems everytime the weather changes even for a few days her allergies act up... I just feel so bad for her. We are giving her pills that are supposed to sooth allergy problems, but again we haven't seen much of a difference lately. I really appreciate all of your suggestions. Just trying to get my four-legged child healthy again.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What is the specific medication she is receiving - both the injected form and the pills?
  7. Proud Army Wife :)
    I am not exactly sure what the doctor gave her in shot form... it was some kind of anti-inflammatory drug that lasted 2 weeks per dose. He said we could do the shot every two weeks but that would be $100 a month on just the shots. The pill is a seasonal allergy pill from GNC. I got it from Petland....something we thought we would try. We just started using it in February, but it doesn't fix her either. I just hate that she scratches and gnaws and shakes her head constantly because of the inflammation and itching.
  8. Senior Member
    My dad's pit mix has really bad allergies. The vet told my dad she needed allergy testing that would have cost a butt ton. I told my dad he needed to try switching her to a grain free dog food first before paying that money for testing. The first time eating the food she didn't get pink/red and didn't itch. The more he fed her the grain free food the more he noticed it was the food he was feeding her that was causing her allergic reaction.

9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    You could try local honey. (Unless your dog is diabetic or something) Sometimes if the allergy is related to pollen or something you can add a tablespoon of local honey on the dog's food once a day and it'll help to alleviate the irritation. I've worked at vet clinics for years and have had several dogs with very similar problems come through, the owners have tried steroids and all kinds of stuff and honey does the trick.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What food is she on? Does it contain corn or chicken?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast