Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining dominance when DF is gone...help!

1. Regular Member

Gaining dominance when DF is gone...help!

Advertisements
    DF was sent away for a few months and I am left alone with our fur babies. DF is the main parent. The dogs listen to him more than me. Was wondering if anyone else has had similiar happen to them and if so how did they get the dogs to listen?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

last deployment my husbands dog did the same! It drove me nuts, he would shred everything in the house, pee everywhere, rip up base boards......I was so miserable, it eventually stopped but it took a lot of time to fix the problem..now they are finally used to him coming and leaving and they are good

its a rough situation, I was miserable for 5months
  3. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    When I got my dog he wanted to be dominant. What I did was hand feed him. It will make him realize that in order for him to eat, you have to allow it, thus establishing your dominance. That should at least put the inkling in his head that you're the HBIC

be cool.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I prefer leadership to dominance. It's hard to give you any sort of specific advice without knowing what specific issues you are encountering.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    I prefer leadership to dominance. It's hard to give you any sort of specific advice without knowing what specific issues you are encountering.
    The Lab is being obstinate all the time. I let him go outside to tinkle and when it is time to come in he will run around and want to play. When its timme for bed, I'll say "Kennel", which is what DF would say and when DF says it he listens. When I say it...he looks at me like, "ha! Nope" and will go to our bed. I will try to get him off of that and he will literally run across the bed hop off and to the living room and back again. The minpin...he follows the labs lead. Its a constant tug o war game for dominence and its 2 against 1. The minpin is getting training every week with me as the leader, but DF was still the one he would listen to. Im to the pooint of trying to even say the things DF would when he would ask them to do things, Ive even caught myself saying "Knock it off!" in a manly voice like DF, and it works
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    The Lab is being obstinate all the time. I let him go outside to tinkle and when it is time to come in he will run around and want to play. When its timme for bed, I'll say "Kennel", which is what DF would say and when DF says it he listens. When I say it...he looks at me like, "ha! Nope" and will go to our bed. I will try to get him off of that and he will literally run across the bed hop off and to the living room and back again. The minpin...he follows the labs lead. Its a constant tug o war game for dominence and its 2 against 1. The minpin is getting training every week with me as the leader, but DF was still the one he would listen to. Im to the pooint of trying to even say the things DF would when he would ask them to do things, Ive even caught myself saying "Knock it off!" in a manly voice like DF, and it works
  7. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimeeleigh_15 View Post
    Does your DH allow the lab to sleep on the bed? It sounds like that may need to stop either way, it can blur dominance boundaries for some dogs.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When I need the dogs to do something, it does help to make me voice firmer/more masculine. How old are the dogs? Mine are just getting out of puppyhood and I'm still working on listening/paying attention with Scout but you might want to consider putting the dog on a leash for a while so that he can learn and understand that he can't do what he wants when he wants to.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Be the leader. We have two dogs, and while there is an element of taking DH more seriously, I still very much manage them when alone. One of the main things that can help pack leader mentality is taking them for walks (with you leading), it makes them feel "normal" and like they are "working" and like they are functioning as a pack. That is honestly my biggest piece of advice. Both my dogs are mellow and naturally well behaved, so I can slack on the walks and still not have behaviors I dislike....but when I do the walks, they are 10x better.

We also do a thing where we put our plate of food on the ground, and do not let them touch it (with finger snaps, attitude and the word "hey!"). This also helps, although only with food scenarios, whereas the pack walk helps in general through out the day.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimeeleigh_15 View Post
    Picturing this just made my day because I have to do the same thing with DH's dog. (the yelling in a man voice) But good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast