Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rescue vs. Shelter

1. Senior Member

Rescue vs. Shelter

Advertisements
    Do you prefer adopting from one vs. the other? Last night I started thinking about it. We adopted our one dog from a local humane society and our other from a rescue group.

I loved rescuing because we got to learn about our dog from the foster and we still stay in contact about once a week. On the other hand I started feeling a bit guilty because our foster told us she was done fostering but she was considering adopting the dog that we adopted. Don't get me wrong I LOVE both of my dogs I just feel a bit sad that maybe I could have helped a dog that didn't already have a great home.

So I'm just curious as to your opinions on each
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Honestly, I don't focus on that - I focus on providing the best, most loving home I can to the animals we have regardless of how they come to us.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Honestly, I don't focus on that - I focus on providing the best, most loving home I can to the animals we have regardless of how they come to us.
    That's a good way to think about it!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    At the moment I'm looking for a very specific type of dog so I'm having more luck with rescues. However that doesn't mean I necessarily prefer rescues. I'd be just as happy to get a shelter dog if it is the right type.

I Eelizah
  5. Senior Member
    I've only adopted from shelters, never looked into rescues honestly.
  6. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    I prefer rescues.

I adopted a dog from a shelter when I was 20 and had her several years, but I didn't know her history and she was just mean. I think there was something missing in her head because she would get in these aggressive moods where her eyes were just blank and empty and would growl and snap for no reason. Idk who had her, if they mistreated her, if she was a wild dog, etc.

My baby now is from a rescue. He was born into the rescue (they found his mom when she was pregnant) and I know his history. I know he's always been loved and cared for and he's not aggressive or broken and is just the sweetest thing ever.

A shelter dog is too much of a risk for me now after my bad experience. I know lots of people get great shelter dogs but I will stick with rescues from now on.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    I prefer rescues.

I adopted a dog from a shelter when I was 20 and had her several years, but I didn't know her history and she was just mean. I think there was something missing in her head because she would get in these aggressive moods where her eyes were just blank and empty and would growl and snap for no reason. Idk who had her, if they mistreated her, if she was a wild dog, etc.

My baby now is from a rescue. He was born into the rescue (they found his mom when she was pregnant) and I know his history. I know he's always been loved and cared for and he's not aggressive or broken and is just the sweetest thing ever.

A shelter dog is too much of a risk for me now after my bad experience. I know lots of people get great shelter dogs but I will stick with rescues from now on.
    This is what we were worried about adopting from a shelter but we got lucky. I think if we were to adopt another dog in the future we would go through a rescue. It was so nice for us know almost everything about the dog we rescued before bringing him home.
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Now with young kids we will do rescue or breeder honestly, I don't want to give a dog a home then have to return it cause I don't know it's history.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We got our new puppy from a no kill shelter, he does not have much history though lol. They got his litter when they turned 7 weeks.
  10. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    No kill shelters.

be cool.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast